Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup vault reports

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

Just a quick question on configuring NetBackup vault reports on NBU 8.1.2

Does it still use blat and nbmail to send the reports or is there a way to use opscenter these days?

thanks

Caden

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6

@CadenL 

I have just checked my NBU documentation folders - the latest Vault manual is NetBackup81_AdminGuide_Vault.pdf.

In chapter 9 - Administering Vault, there is a section called :  About setting up email.

Extract:

Depending on your computing environment, you may have to configure NetBackup
or your computing environment so that notification email from NetBackup functions
properly.
On UNIX systems, NetBackup uses the sendmail mail transfer agent to send email.
If sendmail is not installed, you must install it and configure your environment so
it functions correctly.
On Windows systems, NetBackup uses the nbmail.cmd script (in
install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\goodies) on the NetBackup master server
to send email. For email notifications, NetBackup passes the email address, subject,
and message to the script. NetBackup then uses the mail program that is specified
in the script to send email. For instructions on configuring the script, see the
comments in the nbmail.cmd script. Default NetBackup behavior: nbmail.cmd does
not send email.
Note: If you use the Blat email client to deliver email on Windows systems, include
the -mime option on the blat command in the nbmail.cmd script. That ensures the
Vault reports are mailed correctly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Slartybardfast
Level 5

I do believe that BLAT is still used if you want the reports emailed to you. I am doing exactly that I have not seen the option in OPS Center to email the reports. But I could be wrong. I am am sure a more learn'ed member will correct my statement.

CadenL

Thanks for the reply. I can't see any evidence of anything other than Blat being an option here and as nobody else has responded (despite quite a few views) I suspect that either nobody else knows or nobody else disagrees with you - I'll go with the latter. So I think I have my answer.

Did you say you've just done this yourself (using blat for vault reports?) Did it all work as expected with Blat? Just nice to know that I'm not heading down a dead end here.

thanks again

Marianne
Level 6

@CadenL 

I have just checked my NBU documentation folders - the latest Vault manual is NetBackup81_AdminGuide_Vault.pdf.

In chapter 9 - Administering Vault, there is a section called :  About setting up email.

Extract:

Depending on your computing environment, you may have to configure NetBackup
or your computing environment so that notification email from NetBackup functions
properly.
On UNIX systems, NetBackup uses the sendmail mail transfer agent to send email.
If sendmail is not installed, you must install it and configure your environment so
it functions correctly.
On Windows systems, NetBackup uses the nbmail.cmd script (in
install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\goodies) on the NetBackup master server
to send email. For email notifications, NetBackup passes the email address, subject,
and message to the script. NetBackup then uses the mail program that is specified
in the script to send email. For instructions on configuring the script, see the
comments in the nbmail.cmd script. Default NetBackup behavior: nbmail.cmd does
not send email.
Note: If you use the Blat email client to deliver email on Windows systems, include
the -mime option on the blat command in the nbmail.cmd script. That ensures the
Vault reports are mailed correctly.

CadenL

Thanks Marianne

Hi CadenL

Yes it all works as expected. I get emails every morning. I also save a copy to a folder specified in the vault management properties. Belt and braces approach. Just incase email is not working.

Marianne
Level 6

@CadenL and @Slartybardfast 

Not sure if you are registered on CPEP and received the survey invitation.

If not, please have a look here:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Calling-all-NetBackup-Vault-users/m-p/885340