Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup version upgrade involving DD and NBU Appliances

a_la_carte
Level 5

Hello Folks,

Greetings for the day.

We have many small/large NetBackup environments that we would like to start NetBackup version upgrade on.
The NetBackup Master Server is a physical server with either Windows or Linux OS on it. We have environments where we have been using Data Domain for short-term backup and then vault them off to tapes for longer retention. In some of our environments, we also have NBU appliances being used as media servers.
Many environments have all devices viz. NBU Master Server (Physical Server), NBU Media Server(Physical Server), Data Domain(Appliance), NBU Appliances, Ops-Center(Virtual Machine) in there together.

Could you please guide us the correct sequence which should be followed for Upgrading NBU environment to NBU 7.7.3 ?

We know the basic sequence of proceeding with Ops-center first, then NBU Master Servers, then NBU media servers, then clients, but the involvement of appliances has been adding complexities to the whole upgradation process, especially when it requires upgrading 3rd party appliancs like Data Domain.

I will be furnishing more details about individual's version but at some point, we have found ourseleves stuck up on whether to upgrade DD first or NBU Master Server first.

In our environment, we need to upgrade both, the DDOS and DDboost plungin. EMC has suggested to upgrade DDOS to Version on 5.5.4.10 and ddboost plugin to 3.1.x.

The upgrade path is 5.0/5.1 to 5.2 to 5.5.4.10.

So we are pretty confused as to go with DD OS / DDBoost plugin upgrade first and then NetBackup upgrade on some other day or all to be performed on the same day?

Also, can we ourseleves upgrade the DD OS/DD Boost or EMC TSE needs to perform the same ?

The NetBackup Master Server version is little different in all of the environments w.r.t patches installed over and above 7.5 version.

Ops-center is Ops-Center Analytics ver 7.6.0.1 on VMware virtual machine running Windows 2012 OS managing all of the different Master Backup servers.

=======================================================

There are many but to start off with, two of our NBU environments have below configuration:->

NBU Environment 1

Data Domain Model number: DD610
Data Domain OS 5.0.1.0-240411
Master Server NBU version installed: 7.5.0.5
Master Server OS : windows 2008 R2
Current plugin installed:- 2.3.1.0-223945
Media Servers: N/A
Tape Library/Robot: N/A
Data Domain: Configured as single Disk Pool

NBU Environment 2

Model number: DD620
Data Domain OS 5.1.1.0-291218
Master Server NBU version installed: 7.5.0.4
Master Server OS : windows 2008 R2
Current plugin Version: 2.4.1.0-289644
Media Servers: N/A
Tape Library/Robot: N/A
Data Domain: Configured as single Disk Pool

==================================================================

Please let me know if you need any more info from our side.

7 REPLIES 7

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Personally I would upgrade the Data Domain first. But if you choose to upgrade Netbackup fist, that will also work. You will have to keep a stiff eye on the compatibility matrices between Netbackup, DDOS, DD BOOST and Netbackup.

Support for NBU accelerator was introduced in DDOS 5.2 (as I recall), and this is why you want to upgrade the Data Domain OS. Upgrading DD BOOST on the media servers is very easy,  you may have to upgrade DD BOOST plugin two or more times in order to stay with in the limits of the compatibility matrix.

Compatibility between DDBOOST and DDOS can be found here :

http://compatibilityguide.emc.com:8080/CompGuideApp/DataDomainBoost.jsp

Firmware upgrade of DDOS can be done via the GUI, but you should consult EMC wheater its safe to jump so many firmware version in one go.

Hi Nicolai,

Thanks for the information.

Could you please let us know if DD Boost plug-in needs to be updated on the Master Server only or on all media servers involved in the environment as well ? And provided by VERITAS or EMC ?

Thanks

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
The plugin is installed on each media server that is configured with DD STU.

You get the plugin from EMC.

Thanks Marriane.

1) We have got 26-36 Media Servers, mix of Windows and Linux in one of our NBU environments. Is there a way for quick upgrade on all of them ? A way we can minimize the downtime of the entire environment and bring NBU up as quickly as possible ? In one-shot or in batches ? Please suggest the best way for this.

2) We have to upgrade Ops-Center first. Ops-center Server is on a VMware virtual machine running Windows Server 2012 Standard. As per Ops-center guide, we should go upgrade via Ops-center Agent->Ops-Center Server-> Ops-center View-Builder. How would I determine if Ops-Center Agent and Ops-Center View Builder are indeed in use by the environment, all I can see if Ops-Center Server as of now. ?

We have been using this Ops-Center Server for monitoring and reporting on 5-6 NetBackup environments running NBU 7.5.x.

3) While upgrading NBU from 7.5.x to 7.7.3, can we go directly from 7.5.x to 7.7.3 or do we need to upgrade from 7.5.x to 7.6 first and then 7.7.3. Please suggest here too.

Thanks for your valuable time.

Marianne

1) We have got 26-36 Media Servers, mix of Windows and Linux in one of our NBU environments. Is there a way for quick upgrade on all of them ?

OST plugin Installation and upgrade information can be found in EMC documentation along with plugin downloads.
I am not aware of any quick and easy method. 
My only experience has been with manual copying of plugin to each media server followed by steps to stop services. install the plugin, start services.

2) How would I determine if Ops-Center Agent and Ops-Center View Builder  are indeed in use by the environment.....

If you don't know, you are probably not using it. As far as I know, View Builder is a separate package. If you don't see it in list of installed applications, it is not installed.
OpsCenter agent is something that was used long time ago when agents had to be installed on NBU servers that had to be managed by OpsCenter. If you only have NBU 7.x masters, you probably don't have agents installed anywhere.

3) .... can we go directly from 7.5.x to 7.7.3 ...?

Yes. 
See http://www.veritas.com/docs/000108154 

Thanks Marianne for your replies.

For my question w.r.t 26-36 Media servers, mix of both Windows and Linux, I actually meant upgrading NBU 7.5.x to NBU 7.7.3 on them (ofcourse, along with DD BOOST plugins on them those are hooked up to DD), Is there a quick, easy and fast method to upgrade NBU on all of them with minimum downtime ? In one shot or in batches. Kindly please advise. And yes, among those media servers are NBU appliances too, acting as media servers only.

Marianne

There is unfortunately nothing quick and easy about NBU upgrades. 

You may want to download the NetBackup 7.7.3 Upgrade Guide . 
Chapter 4 deals with Media Server upgrade. 
You can ignore references to MSDP if this feature is not used in your environment.

See step 4 on p.76 for the following topics:

■ See “Performing local, remote, or clustered server upgrades on Windows systems”
on page 55.
■ See “Performing silent upgrades on Windows systems” on page 63.
■ See “Upgrading UNIX/Linux server software to NetBackup 7.7.3” on page 66.

Appliance 2.7.3 Upgrade Guide can be downloaded here: 
NetBackup 52xx and 5330 Appliance Upgrade Guide 

Be sure to review Supported upgrade paths in Chapter 1, followed by Upgrade Planning in Chapter 2.