cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup vs. Backup Exec vs. Data Protector

Tobias_P_
Level 4

Hi guys,

I need your help and advice about NetBackup.

We are looking for some new backup software, to migrate our landscapes to one single backup solution. Some of my colleagues are using Backup Exec since years, I Data Protector, because of the missing SAP Agents in BE. 

Some of the requirements of my colleagues are, that one backup job can handle multiple clients, but for every client they want a separate component selection. They know it works fine in BE and I know it would work in DP, but in NB with policies, I'm not sure. 

Question: Is it possible to start one backup job with multiple clients and every client has it's own selection?

Client 1: C:\program files\app1

Client 2: C:\users\user1 & C:\program files\app2

Question 2: Does NB needs DNS? Is adding a client via IP possible? (DP not!)

Thanks for any help!

Best regards,

Tobias

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Question: Is it possible to start one backup job with multiple clients and every client has it's own selection? - NO

One Backup policy can start backup for multiple clients but backup selection will be common. If you have separate backup selection for client you will need to have separate policy for each client.

Question 2: Does NB needs DNS? Is adding a client via IP possible? (DP not!) - YES

NBU works with host files and DNS though it prefers DNS but personally I prefer host file to manage IP's for medium size environment. Adding client via IP also works in NBU.

View solution in original post

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Yes, you will see separate job for each client. 

In NetBackup "job" represents single backup task. Backup policy can have several clients or single client & multiple backup selection or one. Backup policy will trigger individual job as per schedule or when you run manually for each client.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Question: Is it possible to start one backup job with multiple clients and every client has it's own selection? - NO

One Backup policy can start backup for multiple clients but backup selection will be common. If you have separate backup selection for client you will need to have separate policy for each client.

Question 2: Does NB needs DNS? Is adding a client via IP possible? (DP not!) - YES

NBU works with host files and DNS though it prefers DNS but personally I prefer host file to manage IP's for medium size environment. Adding client via IP also works in NBU.

Thanks for the information!

@Tape_Archived wrote:

If you have separate backup selection for client you will need to have separate policy for each client.

Does separate policy for each client means also separate backup jobs for each client?

Or is it possible to create one backup job with multiple policies?

Thank you.

Tape_Archived
   VIP   

Yes, you will see separate job for each client. 

In NetBackup "job" represents single backup task. Backup policy can have several clients or single client & multiple backup selection or one. Backup policy will trigger individual job as per schedule or when you run manually for each client.

Alexis_Jeldrez
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Tobias_P_ wrote:

Or is it possible to create one backup job with multiple policies?

A single policy usually creates many jobs. For example, a policy with "ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES" as backup selection can create either a single job that sequentially backups all the local drives, or create many jobs, one for each drive. There's an option per-policy to allow it to create many jobs or only one. You can even tell it to create an X number of jobs and queue the rest.

You can be very creative when editing policies. You can create policies that only backup a specific folder/directory and add specific servers (backup clients) to it, and then create a second policy to backup yet another different folder/directory and add a different list of servers and some servers could be on both policies. And of course, you can start those policies at the same time so backups will run in parallel.