cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup with Change Journal - backup size

X2
   VIP   

My first post here on the forum :)

NetBackup verison: 7.5.0.5 (both server RHEL/client Win2k8), Change Journal was enabled with client-side deduplication setup.

I am testing out using change journal and accelerator on some Windows clients. With one of the clients, there was a problem with busy files and the backup was not 100% successful - thus giving an exist status 1. I fixed the issue after a few backups were run. However, I noticed something: all backups with status 1 were as big as Full (I'm doing full once weekly, and diffs the rest). Now that the issue is fixed and change journal is being used, the number of files backed up (diff) has reduced by around 87%-88%.

So if there is no previous successful backup for using change journal - will NetBackup just continue to do full backups?

What happens if there is an unsuccessful backup in future? Will NetBackup complain again about not using change journal and do a full backup instead?

Thanks.

1 REPLY 1

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I think it very much depends what the issue was that caused the Status of 1

Give us more details about the policy itself and what the cause of the Status 1 was

Normally a status of 1 would not stop incrementals running as normal but if you changed the policy or any other settings such as exclude lists etc then that could have an effect on the track log and so need a full backup to be run before incrementals ran as normal

In any case if you changed a policy then all incrementals would run as full until a full actually ran

We would need to see more details from the details tab on the jobs - especially the incremental jobs that ran as a full to try and determine the reason thi should have happended

I dont think the change journal would be the cause - it would be the track log or a policy change that would be most likely to cause it