Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NetBackup with DD Boost

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi,

We plan to backup to a DataDomain using DDBoost device. There is a master server and one media server in the env.

We would also like to duplicate the data to tape after the backup finishes. Now the tape drive can be zoned to only the master server and not the media server. (hardware issues). Is there a way the master server can read the DDBoost data that was backed up by the media server over FC  and duplicate it to tape? I dont want the data flow happeng from the media server over LAN to the master server for duplication.

Thanks in advance!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Create 1 ddboost device on the DD, then zone the servers to the DD, then install ddboost on both servers.

You'll then have to run the nbdevconfig / tpconfig configuration routines on both servers.

After that you'll see that there is 1 new storage server listed in Netbackup. Both servers will have credentials to it.

You can then go to the wizard and select configure diskpool and there you'll find 1 diskpool (its shared betwene the servers). You'll then create the storage unit (either shared or dedicated per server as per your preference).

HTH

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Fellow connect user Riaan will know how to configure this - but its sound like a rather complex configuration, so consider simplicity vs complexity.

I will notify him ..

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Is there a way the master server can read the DDBoost data that was backed up by the media server over FC  and duplicate it to tape? << Yes, just zone the master to the DD and configure it with DDboost via FC too.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Nicolai, unfortunately the customer doesnt have a dedicated backup network, so cant clog his production network for duplication to tape during the day time. I want to understand if the same DD device is acessible to both master and media servers, can the master server read the images backed up by media server?

Thanks!!!

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Thanks Riann, I didnt refresh the page after looking at Nicolai's reply and later only realized that you had already replied. Yes, both master and media server will use DD-Boost over FC for backup. Which DD Component will they have the common visibility so they can read simultaneously(e.g will it be disk pool or Storage server or something?) Just trying to visualize for my actual setup.

Thanks again!!!

RiaanBadenhorst

Hi,

Create 1 ddboost device on the DD, then zone the servers to the DD, then install ddboost on both servers.

You'll then have to run the nbdevconfig / tpconfig configuration routines on both servers.

After that you'll see that there is 1 new storage server listed in Netbackup. Both servers will have credentials to it.

You can then go to the wizard and select configure diskpool and there you'll find 1 diskpool (its shared betwene the servers). You'll then create the storage unit (either shared or dedicated per server as per your preference).

HTH

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Riaan,

I find the following from the vault admin guide under the disk pool section of "choose backups":

Note: An individual disk pool from this list would also display the storage unit name in parenthesis, for example, disk pool (storage unit).

So if I choose the "Disk_pool1 (media_server)" as source for duplication (my understanding is media server will have its own storage unit utilising this disk pool), wont the data flow over the LAN to the master server for duplication to tape for all the backup images created by the media server?

Thank you...

RiaanBadenhorst

Use SLPs, don't use Vault. Vault is a bit 1990s

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello Riaan,

Even if I use SLP wont the storage unit problem still remain? 

Now in the backup stage of SLP, data from media server goes to DD and in the duplication stage I have to choose the master server tape drives, wont the data flow happen over LAN?

Please correct me if I am wrong..

Thanks..

RiaanBadenhorst

Just specify the alternate read server as the master when you add the duplicate to tape operation.

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Will wait for the box to come in and try it out, thanks for the insight..