cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netapp Filer NAS and NDMP backup

demo4119
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

i have a customer having a 10 TB of NAS data ( File server with lots of small files) backup via Fc to LTO5 drives.We have changed the daily backup type to differential but the backup size seem to be very close to the full backup size.

Is there a best approach to backup huge data i multiple stream via NDMP backup ? Any new feature on Netbackup 7.5 which i can use?

Currently using Netbackup 6.5.4 and intended to upgrade to 7.5 latest version .

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

In NDMP incrementals, NDMP host determines which files to be backed up refering NDMP dump level passed by operator and backup software. Wrong configuration may sometimes lead to such issue even if there are no significant changes to data.

Have you configured both full and differential schedule in single policy? How frequently both backup run?

William_Jansen_
Level 5
Partner Certified

Maybe you should look at an Archiving solution.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Multiple Streams does work fine but with netapps you often hit the 4 streams limit as the NDMP writer can only write a mximum of 4 streams at a time

As the earlier post says the differential backups rely on the internals of the file which works on a level basis internally recorded to determine what has been backed up and what has not

You have to be careful here as if you do sub folders as streams then it could trigger the top level folder to have its backup level changed - at this point you would not get as much backed up as you should.

There are also the DAR capabilities which may assist you with restores of individual files

If you plan to use De-Dupe in 7.5.0.4 then that release includes new stream handlers for NDMP which increase the de-duplication rates obtained.

Also note that snap mirror destination volumes always do a full backup apparently

Hope this helps