cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.0 Tape Backup

dbeck
Level 5

Folks,

I've created Full backup jobs which dump to tape and are running fine. I then created some Incremental backup jobs, however they are running as full backups.  Can't pin point what the issue is on the Incremental jobs as to why they still execute as a full backup.

Any inputs would be most helpful.

Dave

14 REPLIES 14

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

What exactly are you backing up? Can you post bppllist "policy name" -U

Will_Restore
Level 6

There have been a number of threads and technotes regarding Incremental backups running as Full, such as this one:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH23000&actp=search&viewlocale=en_U...

Please provide bppllist as Riaan suggests as well as NBU version, OS version.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A cumulative incremental backup will backup all files since last full backup. Change the incremental backup to a differential one. Differential backup will only backup changed file, and for dump this is properly what you want.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

that your incremental schedule is in the same policy as the full?

alazanowski
Level 5

Depending on the way you're running your incremental, you will have set it to either use timestamp or archive bit. If anything is resetting the archive bit or changing the last accessed timestamp, then you would get an influx of what appears to be complete full backups. 

Andy is also right that it has to be within the same policy, and also doing a dump of the settings from the policy would be helpful for us to assist you (especially if things are overlooked like specific schedule settings).

dbeck
Level 5

All

When setting the policies for the tape backup, I did not have the incremental tape job within the Full tape backup policy.  I have this scheduled to run tonight and will forward on the results tomorrow.  Thanks so far for all the inputs.

Dave

Will_Restore
Level 6

Used to think that is a given, but seems we see this omission often enough.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

But as Marianne has stated frequently on this particular "issue", this is obviously "not documented clearly enough"

There is a T/N, but only if you're suffering with the issue!

DOCUMENTATION: The cumulative incremental backups consistently run as full backups.
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH66214

"NetBackup is designed to only look at client backups defined within a single policy and will not consider other policies for the same client that may contain full backups when calculating which files need to be backed up."

dbeck
Level 5

All,

The incremental job dumping to tape ran last eveing as a full even though this was created within the full tape policy. So I'm still investigating. 

The Full and Incremental policies/jobs that I have scheduled that dump to disk are working correctly.

Dave

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

as it were. Maybe you'll have to re-run the full first?

Another possible issue is that the policy has got "corrupted". Have seen this before too & the only recourse was to recreate the policy from fresh. If you try this do not copy the policy as this will probably copy the "corruption".

Maybe still worth providing us with the policy output as suggested by Riaan....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

is as per a "similar" issue that Amit appeared to be experiencing here:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cumulitave-backups-running-full-solaris-client

Check the output of:

bpimagelist -client <client-name> -d <start_date> -e <end_date> -U

to see whether the size & number of files is directly comparable between your fulls & incrementals

SRP
Level 4

I have always found that if you add a non-full schedule AFTER a full backup has run, then the non-full backup will do a "full" backup - exactly as if a full-backup hadn't run.

I believe that a non-full schedule should be put into the policy along with the full schedule (unless you're never going to use an incremental/differential backup).

dbeck
Level 5

Thanks again for the inputs.... I'm swamped today and hopefully will get back to this today.  My backups to disk are running great so I'm covered for the weekend.

Just wanted to note the version, os and rev Netbackup of the OS and Netbackup

Netbackup Version - 6.0 MP7S01

dbeck
Level 5

Folks,

Disk backups are running fine,  so I just want to let everyone who replied to this issue I have not had a chance to get back to this.  Hopefully some time will free up in the next couple of weeks.  I will post again when time permits on this issue if I haven't got it resolved.  Thanks again for your suggestions.

-D-