cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.3 duplication problems

BrianBatzli
Level 2

I've been running into an issue lately that has been very random. Each day at 6am my duplications take images from the SAN and move them to our tape library robot that has 2 tape drives. Somedays the duplications split evenly between the tape drives and finish quickly and then days like today the one tape drive gets 3 images and the other gets 345 images. The one with 3 images finishes in no time at all and then the other tape drive takes the entire day and next night to finish. Is there a way that I can force the images to split evenly between the two tape drives everyday?

3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

NBU 6.5.3 is VERY old.... Updates were introduced in 6.5.4 that made staging much more efficient.

The way that NBU splits up and group images for duplication depends mainly on retention levels. See this TN for explanation:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH44719

The default behavior in NetBackup is for a DSSU relocation job to first divide its list of images to be duplicated into separate groups for each retention level represented in the list.  Each of these retention groups is separated into individual batches that do not exceed 25 gigabytes of data per batch. Next, a bpduplicate command is executed to handle each batch of images.  If enough drive resources are available, all of these duplication jobs will immediately activate.  Otherwise, there will be a mix of active and queued duplication jobs based on drive availability.

Please be aware that that NBU 6.x will reach EOSL in Oct 2012.

BrianBatzli
Level 2

Thank you for the response! Yes, I am aware of the age of this version. The last administrator of the system did not keep up with the latest versions and I am looking to upgrade this summer before it hits EOSL. So if I understand this correctly, the last administrator must have set up the policies to all use 2 retention levels and this is what causes only 2 duplication jobs to queue up? (it also far surpass the 25gb limit.) I looked for the STAGING_JOB_KB_LIMIT text file but it did not exist on the media server. Should I just try staggering the retention levels to create multiple duplication queues?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As per the TN, this procedure will create and populate the file:

For example, to configure NetBackup to allow DSSU duplication jobs to occur in batches of up to 50 gigabytes per batch, the following command should be run:

UNIX media server:
echo 52428800 > /usr/openv/netbackup/STAGING_JOB_KB_LIMIT

Windows media server:
echo 52428800 > %systemdrive%\Program Files\VERITAS\NetBackup\STAGING_JOB_KB_LIMIT

Retention levels should be configured in line with Business retention and recovery needs.
It is quite normal for different types of data to have different retention levels.
Before any retention levels are changed, find out what the actual Business requirements are.