cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.4 + VCB - How to add backup proxy server to NBU

posie80
Level 4

Hi all,

I have a working (production environment which consists of 1 NBU 6.5.4 Master server and 4 NBU 6.5.4 Media servers, all on Solaris 9.

I am trying to integrate VMWare backup into our NBU backup environment. We have installed Enterprise NBU 6.5.4 Media server software on our backup proxy server (Windows 2003) . Using NBU Java administration console (connected to the master server), I'm trying to add the backup proxy + NBU Media server into NBU using the following steps :

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding the proxy server to NetBackup configuration
You must add the VMware backup proxy server to your NetBackup configuration.
In the NetBackup Administration Console, do the following.
To add the proxy server
1 Click HostProperties>MasterServer> and double click NetBackupmaster
server > Virtual Machine Proxy Servers.
2 Click Add.
3 In the New Server dialog box, enter the fully qualified domain name of the
VMware backup proxy server, and click Add.
2 Chapter
4 When you are finished adding proxies, click Close.
5 Click Apply and then OK

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately I'm not able to see the Virtual Machine Proxy Servers option in the window. Infact, I couldnt find anything similar to it with the Java administration console.

Is there some sort of steps I need to do, in order to 'unlock' or see this option? Do I need to restart NBU master services or something?

Appreciate if you can assist!

- Posie

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Before you try to configure VCB proxy - first get it to work as media server.

Have you added a SERVER entry for the new media server? (Either Host Properties -> Master -> Servers, or nbemmcmd -addhost ....  or SERVER entry in master's bp.conf). Restart NBU after adding new server.

Confirm forward and reverse name lookup in both directions.

Use the Device wizard to scan and add devices as well as STU.

Create test policy to backup a small folder on the new media server.

After this you can proceed with VM backup config.

Confirm that Enterprise Client license key is also installed on the master server. This will unlock the VM features.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

Before you try to configure VCB proxy - first get it to work as media server.

Have you added a SERVER entry for the new media server? (Either Host Properties -> Master -> Servers, or nbemmcmd -addhost ....  or SERVER entry in master's bp.conf). Restart NBU after adding new server.

Confirm forward and reverse name lookup in both directions.

Use the Device wizard to scan and add devices as well as STU.

Create test policy to backup a small folder on the new media server.

After this you can proceed with VM backup config.

Confirm that Enterprise Client license key is also installed on the master server. This will unlock the VM features.

posie80
Level 4

Marianne,

That was it! I installed the Enterprise Client license key and after restarting I was able to see the appropriate options.

I was able to configure and recognize the backup proxy server properly in NBU and the storage unit was configured fine.

However upon triggering the policy, it failed with the following :

10/26/2010 15:51:59 - begin Flash Backup Windows: Create Snapshot
10/26/2010 15:52:00 - started process bpbrm (pid=5112)
10/26/2010 15:52:03 - Critical bpbrm (pid=5112) from client ad2tkytstvm02.ad2.prod: FTL - snapshot creation failed, status 156
10/26/2010 15:52:04 - end Flash Backup Windows: Create Snapshot; elapsed time 0:00:05
10/26/2010 15:52:04 - end writing
Operation Status: 156

I tried to look into bpfis logs but it looks like nothing useful was in there - I probably need to increase the logging verbosity. However the following lines are already in my bp.conf :

VERBOSE = 5
BPTM_VERBOSE = 5

But bpfis logs dont seem to be updated with enough info. What other verbosity level do I need to increase in bp.conf or someplace else, that can increase loggings related to VMware backups?

Thanks!

Posie

Marianne
Level 6

bp.conf entries on the master server will only apply to the master's logging level. You should be able to increase media server logging level under Host Properties -> Media server.

Just another thought - since your original query was answered, maybe start a new thread for the status 156?

I remember some discussions on this forum a couple of months ago regarding status 156 and VCB backups... Will see in the meantime if I can find it.

Have you maybe considered upgrade to NBU 7? VCB is no longer required. You just need to zone the storage that contains all the vmdk's to the backup server.

Deepak_G
Level 6
Certified

Err # 156 is generic error. You need to ty with VCBMounter command and then verify the logs.

vcbmounter -h ESXSERVER:443 -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD -a CLIENTNAME -r DIRECTORY WHERE YOU WANT THE SNAP TO BE MOUNTED -t fullvm -m san >> c:\log.txt

Execute this command from the VCB server install path/VMWARE/VMWARE Consolidated Backup Framework - Directory

If the snap gets mounted on the target locatioin then there is no problem on the mount. If it fails verify the log in C:\ that will have the reason for failure.

posie80
Level 4

Deepak,

Thanks a lot for that handy command!

We resolved our issue based on the logging of that command, so I'm really grateful.

- Posie

Marianne
Level 6

Pity you did not post the status 156 as a separate post - Deepak really deserves a solution for that one.....