cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.4 open-e dss

Doctorski
Level 5

Hi,

My desktop guy is asking me if I can backup his open-e dss 6 NAS. Is anybody doing this ? If so how ?

We currently have a mixture of hp-ux, linux, and windows media servers all at 6.5.4. Master is hp-ux ia64 6.5.4.

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

You  can, but you'll need to mount the share on a media server or another netbackup client. You'll have to start the netbackup client service (if its a windows server where you mounted the share) with an account that has administrative rights on the NAS (so it can access all folder).

Then you can specify the UNC path as part of a policy for the media server/client where you mounted the share.

Try it.

Doctorski
Level 5

Thanks Riaan I will try that.

Lukasz_Wittig
Not applicable

Hi Darren,

Solution described by Riaan should work properly. Below you will find another one without needs to mount NAS shares from Open-E DSS server on other server. At the begining I sugest to update Open-E DSS V6 to the lastest build (please use function Update downloader on DSS V6 WebUI or download update directly from Open-E site: http://www.open-e.com/account/login/?next=/account/register/product/). After it please enable and configure NDMP functionality on DSS WebUI in CONFIGURATION -> NAS settings -> NDMP data server. Next using NetBackup software follow listed below steps (required Netbackup version 6.5.2A or higher):

• Create Disk Storage Unit (DSU:( NetBackup Management/Storage/Storage Units/New

• Fill name;

• Choose Unit Type as Disk and Disk Type as BasicDisk;

• Fill Media Server and Path to stored backups to appropriate values;

• Create a backup policy: NetBackup Management/Policies/New

• Set Policy Type to NDMP;

• Data Classification to No Data Classification;

• Policy Storage Unit to previously created DSU;

• And other remained fields set as usual for the NDMP policy.

After that we can use created policy to backup data from the ndmp node to the disk.

Doctorski
Level 5

Thanks for the info Lukasz I will pass it on.