cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.4 with deduplication

NEERAJ_MEHTA
Level 4
I'm using Netbackup 6.5.4 windows master server and VMWARE environment.
Now I want to buy deduplication feature for Netbackup. Please advice what i should????
I mean i have to buy puredisk or  i can buy only deduplication licence for Netbackup.
Many thanks in advance.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
*     A NetBackup PureDisk Server License, with a capacity license for 2TB (plus expected growth)
*     A Server with Capacity to hold XXXX Days of deduplicated data. 
      *     If you assume 10:1 Dedupe,
      *     And you want to keep 20 days worth of backups
            *     You should assume 4 TB of Back End Capaciy will be required (this is only an assumption, not a hard fast number)
*     At this point, you have 2 different options.
      *     Deploy the NetBackup PureDisk Client to all of your VM Guests
      *     Get the PDDO Feature License for NetBackup, and point your Master Server to the PureDisk Server, as an Advanced Disk Storage Unit

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

Stefaan_M
Level 4
Partner
you need to buy the PureDisk license.  There is no deduplication license for Netbackup.
This license is based on the amount of front-end TB you will backup to PureDisk.

After you have setup Puredisk, you'll need to register it into Netbackup as PDDO Storage Unit.  This will enable you to use the PureDisk Storage Pool as a Storage Unit.

NEERAJ_MEHTA
Level 4
What setup i need for puredisk. I have total 2TB of data.

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
*     A NetBackup PureDisk Server License, with a capacity license for 2TB (plus expected growth)
*     A Server with Capacity to hold XXXX Days of deduplicated data. 
      *     If you assume 10:1 Dedupe,
      *     And you want to keep 20 days worth of backups
            *     You should assume 4 TB of Back End Capaciy will be required (this is only an assumption, not a hard fast number)
*     At this point, you have 2 different options.
      *     Deploy the NetBackup PureDisk Client to all of your VM Guests
      *     Get the PDDO Feature License for NetBackup, and point your Master Server to the PureDisk Server, as an Advanced Disk Storage Unit

NEERAJ_MEHTA
Level 4
Thanks Kevin,

I have some more doubt .

1. Do i need to create one more server (IF yes , so that server should be virtual or physical)
2. What operationg system we need for Puredisk server.
3. Puredisk server require FC connection with our exsisting SAN switch.
3. so far i'm using MSL  4048 Tape library and VLS 9000 , Pure disk can work with both or only with VLS9000.

Thanks for your support.

lu
Level 6
Are you sure that you want deduplication for only 2TB ? The licence+hardware cost will be much higher than the disks costs.

lu
Level 6
Moreover did you consider deduplication appliances (EMC/DataDomain/FalconStor/...) ? You can even test FalconStor appliance with a VM here: http://www.falconstor.com/en/pages/?pn=Downloads

Kevin_Good
Level 5
Certified
Sorry for the delay in replying...

Yes, you will need an intel based server, running the PureDisk OS, and application.  It can be run as a Virtual Machine (though may not be your best choice).

Where you will see slow downs with a VM:
* Initial Ingestion (finding all the unique bits of data)
* Full System Restores may take longer, because of resource availability
* Tape Export will use physical resources (see below for additional information)

Yes, you will need to be able to present the Target storage back to the system.

PureDisk itself can only write to Disk, it does not have any functionality to write to tape.  That being said however, you can, (and should) configure PureDisk / NetBackup to export to tape.

lu
Level 6
I think that you should also consider hardware deduplication.

NEERAJ_MEHTA
Level 4
Kevin,

HP VLS 9000 represent itself as a tape library and tapes to Netbackup.
So, how puredisk will able to recognize VLS9000 as a disk.

Thanks,

lu
Level 6
No a VTL won't be seen as a disk, unless it implements the "open storage api". Only FalconStor and a few others have this API.

NEERAJ_MEHTA
Level 4
Hi lu,

VLS backend is a disk , its just showing as a tape.

So there is no way to utilize this disk with puredisk deduplication feature.

lu
Level 6
No puredisk must see disks (LUNs over FC for example).

francisco_weber
Not applicable
Hi All, 
   you can find the white paper by Symantec explaning all disk technologies and good / bad sides for each of them including VTL and PureDisk systems.

hope this helps

f.w.

Hostasaurus
Level 3
Does this information still apply to NetBackup 7?  It sounds like something has changed in 7 as I've read things that indicate you have to remove puredisk to implement mediaserver-based deduplication in NB 7.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
Yes, dedupe is now included in NB 7.0.
you can do it client side, Media side in addition to an appliance, or appliance integrated.

symantecevents.webex.com/mw0305l/mywebex/default.do

go to the events page and sign up for a Netbackup 7 - Dedupe Anywhere webinar and learn the details.
I believe it has a limit of 32 TB.

Anton_Panyushki
Level 6
Certified
I'd recommend to install a VTL with built-in  deduplication. We installed this solution as we run 5.1.