cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.5 problems

pruvn
Level 5
Hi everybody,

I'm new to NetBackup. I'm having a pilot Netbackup 6.5.5 system with MSL 4048 2 drives FC. I'm having many troubles with this so I want to ask for help:

1. I can only install client agent remotely within 1 subnet, but not cross subnet. I wonder if Netbackup support deploy client agent cross subnet ?
2. For backing up Domino system, I can only restore onto system with Domino engine, but not a ordinary  file server, is this right as design or it's my failure ?
3. With tape drives, I'm having problems when up the drive: "unable to up the selected drive hp ultrium scsi unknow drive name (297)" , both of my tape drives having this failure.
4. For MS SQL server database, I backed up the DB server, the process finish successfully but some of my DB failed within that process. Ex 2 DB failed, others succeeded ...

Thanks for any comments,

Vic
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pruvn
Level 5
Hi,

I finally find the reason why Netbackup can not see MSL 4048 Tape Library. It's zoning issue, I do not know why this issue arise though it works with same zoning configuration before.

I'm now working with with backup/restore MS SQL 2005 DB. I can backup a whole instance of a server but I find that I can not restore that instance [multiple DBs] at the same time [can not check multiple DB]. Does Netbackup support restore multiple DBs or a whole instance at the same time??

Thanks for any comment,

Vic

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
I'm a newbie here too.

about the mssql u have to config the database to full recovery,

U will have some issue about trunkate and shrink the log files..

I hope it helps..

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited
about the drive error

there is a post about it
maybe it helps you

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/troubleshooting-down-drive-paths

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
H Vic
I'll try:

1. I can only install client agent remotely within 1 subnet, but not cross subnet. I wonder if Netbackup support deploy client agent cross subnet ?
NetBackup is not limited to same subnet. Remote client install is done differently on Windows & Unix. On Windows, limit remote installations to clients in same domain. If Unix, verify that ssh or rsh is functioning correctly.

2. For backing up Domino system, I can only restore onto system with Domino engine, but not a ordinary  file server, is this right as design or it's my failure ?
Any application/database agent will need the agent as well to do restore. The agent is the database plug-in.

3. With tape drives, I'm having problems when up the drive: "unable to up the selected drive hp ultrium scsi unknow drive name (297)" , both of my tape drives having this failure.
Need more info here - which O/S?
How did you config the devices - manually or using the wizard?
What are the drive names?  Please post output of 'tpconfig -l'. Command is in .../volmgr/bin
If O/S is Windows, did you stop and disable Removable Storage Manager service?

4. For MS SQL server database, I backed up the DB server, the process finish successfully but some of my DB failed within that process. Ex 2 DB failed, others succeeded ...
We will need dbclient log on the SQL client to troubleshoot. Please confirm that the user account starting up NetBackup Client service has sufficient permissions.

pruvn
Level 5
@Claudio: thanks, I did read that article before, but my environment is Windows. I will post back about MS SQL backup when focus more on it.

@Marianne: thanks for your advices.

Question2: yes I do install client agent on both Domino server and File server. But I can only restore backup of Lotus data files onto Domino server but not File server. Is this right?

Question3: My OS is Windows, I disabled Removable storage service already. I got stuck and I rebuilt a new NBU system, now I get another issue. My NBU server and tape library are on the same FC switch [blade hp c7000], same zoning but my NBU server can not see HP ultrium tape drive in Device manager. Do you have any suggestion on solving this?

Question4: I will post back about MS SQL backup when focus more on it.

Thanks much for comments on my issue !

Vic

pruvn
Level 5
Hi,

I finally find the reason why Netbackup can not see MSL 4048 Tape Library. It's zoning issue, I do not know why this issue arise though it works with same zoning configuration before.

I'm now working with with backup/restore MS SQL 2005 DB. I can backup a whole instance of a server but I find that I can not restore that instance [multiple DBs] at the same time [can not check multiple DB]. Does Netbackup support restore multiple DBs or a whole instance at the same time??

Thanks for any comment,

Vic

Marianne
Level 6
Have you followed the restore procedure that's described in the NBU SQL Admin Guide?
See page 82.

pruvn
Level 5
Thanks for your comment Marianne,

On page 82, it guides how to restore a DB image while we want to retore a whole SQL 2005 instance [multiple DB images at the same time]. Can we achieve this with NBU? I can not find any sign [multiple DB images selection] in NBU admin console that indicate the ability to restore multiple DB images at the same time.

Vic

Marianne
Level 6
Hi Vic

Full database recovery is covered on page 83 of the manual:

Staging a full database recovery
To stage a full database recovery
1 Browse for a backup image that contains the point in time to which you would like to recover.
See “Browsing for backup images” on page 80.
2 In the Restore Microsoft SQL Server Objects dialog box, expand the desired instance.
3 Click the “+” next to the database containing the transaction log backup you wish to restore.
4 Select the transaction log image that includes the point in time that you would like to recover to.
5 Select Stage full recovery.
Stage full recovery is enabled if a set of images exists that includes the transaction log image and that are adequate for staging a full database recovery. Also, when viewing the properties of the transaction log, a Recovery Set tab is displayed.