cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5.6 BMR Proof of Success

robtest_2013
Level 3

Hello,

I recently BMR'd a server in my test environment. There was nothing wrong with the server i was just going through a BMR test process. I verified the BMR was successful in my admin gui and i was able to boot up the server after the BMR was complete. My question is, besides verifying with the admin gui is there anywhere else where i can get positive proof that the BMR was successful. I checked the bmrrst log but was unable to find anything in there that identified the BMR as being successful. Thanks in advance for any input.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

BMR status appears for restore task can be considered as good input to know if restore is well done. But make a note that sometimes this status may not shown as completed and instead running where your client is restored and booting successfully. This happens when NW is not working well for restore client. Generally due to invalid IP used/ firewall/dhcp server etc issues. In this case as NW is down, client fails to update restore task status at master and user see restore task still running.

In this case logically client is restored successfully and setting NW config manually client functions correctly over NW.

Also ensure if imp apps are up and running and their agents are working well from remote m/c.

Also open volume manager on that client and ensure all the intended fs are shown up/healthy.

thanks.

mandar

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If the backup is successful then it backed up successfully. If the BMR restoration/recovery says it's successful, well it's successful.

Also of note, NBU 6.5.6 is out of support now for 6 months.

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

If restore jobs ans BMR task have comleted successfuly, it must be sussessful in NetBackup world.
Furthur proof is out of NetBackup task. Just check if OS and applications work well.

robtest_2013
Level 3

Thanks for the responses, Revaroo and Yasuhisa. I understand that if the BMR says its successful then more often than not it is. I just need something more, a log, or something saying that the BMR has completed. I didn't see anything in the /usr/openv/netbackup/logs/bmrrst logs that specifically stated that the BMR was successful. If the admin gui and the fact that i can boot the server back up is the only thing i have then it will have to do. smiley

Thanks revaroo, we are in the process of upgrading to 7.5.

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

If there was an issue with the backup then a we normally report it and that is seen in the job status. For example sometimes files are skipped or not backed up and we would see the backup complete but with a status 1 instead of a status 0

mandar_khanolka
Level 6
Employee

BMR status appears for restore task can be considered as good input to know if restore is well done. But make a note that sometimes this status may not shown as completed and instead running where your client is restored and booting successfully. This happens when NW is not working well for restore client. Generally due to invalid IP used/ firewall/dhcp server etc issues. In this case as NW is down, client fails to update restore task status at master and user see restore task still running.

In this case logically client is restored successfully and setting NW config manually client functions correctly over NW.

Also ensure if imp apps are up and running and their agents are working well from remote m/c.

Also open volume manager on that client and ensure all the intended fs are shown up/healthy.

thanks.

mandar