cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 Master and Media Servers with one 5.1 MP7 Media Server

gstonian
Level 3
Hi,

We are (finally) upgrading from 5.1 MP6 to 6.5 in a few weeks time. Unfortunately due to a small number of Netware Servers running on older OS Versions, we are going to have to keep one of our media servers on 5.1 and upgrade that to 5.1 MP7.

This I suspect will however upset our current ability to immediately vault data off of our disk based Storage Unit to Tape at an offsite location as of the restrictions of running 6.5 with 5.1.

Can anyone confirm (before I go through with the upgrade) if there is an issue vaulting images off a Disk Based Storage Unit which is hosted on a media server running 6.5 to a media server running 5.1 ? The clients being backed up to the Storage Unit in the first place will be Netbackup 6.5 Clients.

If so I'll just have to rethink our vaulting policies

Thanks
3 REPLIES 3

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Your client NBU level can never be higher than the media server that's backing it up. The backups will fail. Vaulting won't be a problem.
You must also ensure that the media server(s) staying on 5.1 do not share any tape drives with 6.5 media servers.
See the upgrade TechNote ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/290141.pdf
See Appendix A - Phased upgrade.

gstonian
Level 3
Thanks for the response. I had read that doc but it didn't really answer my question.

So confirm your statement I should be able to backup 6.5 Clients to a 6.5 Media Server which hosts the Disk Based Storage Unit. I should then be able to vault those images off there to a Tape Library attached to a 5.1 MP7 Media Server.

We won't be sharing any tape drives.

Thanks very much

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This will probably not work either, as the 6.5 Media server will effectively become the 'client' of the 5.1 media server during the duplication. The format of disk images is changed in 6.5. Your best bet is to log a call with Symantec. I'd be interested to hear what they say.
What is the NBU version on your netware servers? No matter what the version of the media server, you will only be able to backup clients on 5.x. See 'NetBackup backward compatibility' in the NetBackup 6.5 Release Impact Bulletin:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/288210.htm