cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 Media Server Console login Error

soofy
Level 4

I have just installed a new media server. But when I try to run the Netbackup Administration console from media server. It states an error.  "Unable to connect to selected Netbackup host "masterserver".

imagebrowser image

Do anybody have the idea about the problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I see!

Add client also to the "Additional servers" list and try again 

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Mouse
Make sure that your media server is listed in the master server's server list

Go to master server, administration console -> host properties -> master server -> server list

Put media server hostname there. If this media server is clustered, good idea to put nodenames in this list as well

Mouse
Have you added your media server to the EMM DB?

Check this article
DOCUMENTATION: How to use the "nbemmcmd -addhost" command to add a media server to a VERITAS NetBackup (tm) 6.0 environment.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/279049.htm

soofy
Level 4
No Mouse, I have not added the media server Master server host properties nor added in the EMM DB. Its mean I have to perform these steps to complete the media server installation. am I right ?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Mouse may not have been real clear here in that the media server name needs to be in both windows of the server list

Other servers
and
Media servers

the Other servers list is what gives permission for the console.

Mouse
 Definitely you have to add your media server and nodenames (if it clustered) to the master server's server list, otherwise master server will not allow to connect (it's a security feature).

after that, you can run %install_path%\veritas\netbackup\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd -listhosts 
and check the output. If your new media server isn't there, you need to follow the technote above and add it to the EMM DB manually

Mouse
This is really news for me, but as I remember times when it was only "Other servers" list,  I'm not using "Media Server" list at all ... thanks for explanation!

soofy
Level 4
If i am not wrong, I can use the only active node to add media servers in the Master server host properties list, and also the command: nbemmcmd -addhost on the active node only.  Is it ?

Mouse
You are 100% correct.
All the commands you need to fire at the active node of your Master Server 

soofy
Level 4

I have succesfully added the Media server in the Master server list. And I have confirmed it by running the command nbemmcmd -listhost. Its shows my media server in the list. But when I try to log in again error but error is changed. Please have a look if you have gone through this problem.

imagebrowser image

When I press Ok, it shows the console but with error. See!!!

imagebrowser image

I must tell you that my Master server is on Microsoft Cluster.

Mouse
What is the virtual name of your NetBackup? At the first screenshot it says "nbucluster" and "nbu" in this screenshot.

Mouse
 One more question - have you added your master server to both lists - media server and other?

Sometimes it's good idea to restart NBU to re-read the configuration (might help)

One more thing to check. Go to Master Server, Administration Console, menu Actions -> Configure media server 
Put media server's hostname and click OK.

If you will see the media server properties dialog box, check if master server and both nodes are in the media server's server list

soofy
Level 4
Virtual Name of my Master server is NBU, in the first screeshot it was wrong so I reinstalled the media server with nbu master server name.

I can't understand about adding my master server in Media server and other list?    See this is my Master server properties screenshot. Media server which I recently added is named client.  San1 and san2 are my cluster nodes. Which automatically added here.

imagebrowser image

Mouse
I see!

Add client also to the "Additional servers" list and try again 

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

i don't know if that is best practice.

but

even in master and hotst, I use to put

ip host-name  in /etc/hosts  or c:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts

Mouse
 It's a bad idea in the cluster environment.

Cluster configuration should rely on DNS only, just imagine if your cluster will failover to another subnet. What you will do, update your hosts file on all the clients manually?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
yes - additional servers needs the server "client"  if you want to run the console on a server it must be in the additional servers list - just like if you installed the remote admin console on your pc, your pc name would have to be added tot he additional servers list .

This is for security reasons - otherwise ANYBODY could install the console and get access to NB and try to do restores anywhere.  So even with a media server if you want to run the console you have to give it permissions.

Mouse - this was like one of the first things I learned as I have always used the remote console ( and yes it was back in the 3.2 version when all you had was server list)

Mouse
 But I didn't known what is the difference between these two lists, "Additional Servers" and "Media Servers". 
Now I know, thanks once again:)