cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 - Unix to Windows Migration

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

I see many articles on this subject - whereby someone wants to move their NBU environment (Master & Media's) from a Unix to Windows (or vice versa) environment - but am not clear as to the current 'official' status.  Historically it seems that Symantec don't support or recommend this - but it may be able to be achieved.

I have a HP/UX Master/Media running NBU 6.5 and my aim is to get to a Windows 2008R2 environment with a single master and four media servers - all running NBU 7.x.  I obvioulsy want to retain visibility of the current backup tapes/images/policies - but don't need any of the configuration info (drives etc.) as this is all new.

Is this possible ?  If there is a version issue then I can install the new environment at 6.5 and upgrade after the catalog import.  As we don't have much expertise in the HP/UX environment I would rather not upgrade HP/UX to NBU 7.x then migrate the catalog.

Any 'current' advice welcomed.

AJ.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

but am not clear as to the current 'official' status.  Historically it seems that Symantec don't support or recommend this - but it may be able to be achieved.

This is still true today.  It's still possible but unless you have a deep understanding of NetBackup and are able and willing to hack the internals of the data files, you'll likely be paying somebody to do the migration for you.

A fair number of us did cross-platform migrations in the 3.x and 4.x days, including us (from Windows to Solaris).  Since 6.x with EMM, I don't know how often it has been done in the field.  If people are doing it, they're not posting their success stories.

A popular approach would be to build a parallel infrastructure.  Build out your Windows master and migrate your clients to it.  Keep the old one in place for restores until the images either expire or they drop to a reasonable number such that you can import the remaining tapes.  If you don't have a lot of long expirations (say over 1 year) this approach seems reasonable.  If you do have a lot of long-term retentions, this could be too ugly.

An HP/UX migration to Linux would be fairly straightforward (documented and supported) - it's the Windows piece of it that's really hard (undocumented and unsupported).

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Will_Restore
Level 6

As I understand it only supported by Symantec Consulting though there are only a few willing or able to actually do it these days.

Ed_Wilts
Level 6

but am not clear as to the current 'official' status.  Historically it seems that Symantec don't support or recommend this - but it may be able to be achieved.

This is still true today.  It's still possible but unless you have a deep understanding of NetBackup and are able and willing to hack the internals of the data files, you'll likely be paying somebody to do the migration for you.

A fair number of us did cross-platform migrations in the 3.x and 4.x days, including us (from Windows to Solaris).  Since 6.x with EMM, I don't know how often it has been done in the field.  If people are doing it, they're not posting their success stories.

A popular approach would be to build a parallel infrastructure.  Build out your Windows master and migrate your clients to it.  Keep the old one in place for restores until the images either expire or they drop to a reasonable number such that you can import the remaining tapes.  If you don't have a lot of long expirations (say over 1 year) this approach seems reasonable.  If you do have a lot of long-term retentions, this could be too ugly.

An HP/UX migration to Linux would be fairly straightforward (documented and supported) - it's the Windows piece of it that's really hard (undocumented and unsupported).

Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree with the advice here and the parallel method - have done similar in past. But always had *NIX master. Just our preference. (less reboots back then compared to windows)

Second, your recommendation for a linux master.

Moved from HP/UX master to Suse linux master.

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

Thanks Guys.

The option of keeping the HP/UX server in play for restores was considered, but if we wat to keep this machine in maintainanceit is costly, and also I guess we nee to keep a NBU license for it, also a costly option as I plan to transfer it to the Windows environment.

There are many many tapes with LONG retentions, so this would be a long changeover period, leaving the only option being to import tapes.  Too many tapes to import, so messy.  Also, if we go woth the plan of importing if/when required for restore, how will we know where the data is (i.e. what tapes to import) ??

AJ

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

First of all, migration between Unix and Windows is supported but only with help of certified consultant, if you don't have one, it's a chargeable exercise (http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH31385).

However, if you are more flexible with the target platform and can accept use of Linux or Solaris x86 (if you're looking for x86 platform migration), then use the supported procedure to transfer catalog between Unixes for free http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH77448

HTH

Mouse

We're doing some migrations between Unix and Windows, but they are linked to proprietary tools from SYMC, it wouldn't be true success story then.

I know a few guys who tried to crack the EMM DB, it's possible but it changes with almost every patch so it's difficult to make this solution working across all versions and/or patch levels.

Radhakrishnan
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Basically EMM migration is the issue thats the reason it has to done through certified consultants. If you don't required EMM move from the old master you can try to move data under netbackup/db ( there are few things to careful under image database also) folder  to windows and recreate other things manually in the new EMM such has machine, storage unit, media, tape devices and robot.

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

I only need the information relating to what backups are on what media (from the old HP/UX environment) - and don't need any info regarding environment (storage units / devices / Robots etc.) as the new environment is exactly that - New.  Are you saying this is achievable by simply moving the DB information ?

AJ

Radhakrishnan
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes , you can just move the db/images folder to any netbackup master server and get this information. You dont required to move entire catalog

SYMAJB
Level 5
Partner

OK - Just to be 100% clear here........

If I create my new NBU 7.0.1 environment (Windows 2008R2), set up all my Meadia Servers, Devices, Storage Units, Policies etc. - then copy the contents of the db/images folder from the old HP/UX 6.5.6 Master Server to the new Windows 7.0.1 Master Server - will the new system be aware of all the previous backups, and the location (Tape) of the images ?  i.e. I need to be able to go into Backup/Archive/Restore on the new Windows NBU environment and browse the previous backups by client and then select files for restore.

Will this be achievable ?

AJ.

Marianne

You have marked a solution but still want to pursue this matter??

If you copy images folder, the new master will have knowledge of the images and which tapes they're on, BUT media (EMM) will have no knowledge of ASSIGNED status and tapes will be available to be overwritten. This will obviously result in MAJOR inconsistencies. Images will know 'old' image11111 is on media id A00000, but could be overwritten with image22222 on new master. You will only find this out when you try to restore.

A method that COULD work is the 'Recovery without Import' method. This method entails copying of images and write protecting all media containing images from old master. These tapes also need to be added to a pool that will NEVER be used for backups, e.g. RESTORE.

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/products/White_Papers/Data_Protection/nbu_wp_replicatingbucatalogs_103003.pdf

http://eval.symantec.com/mktginfo/enterprise/white_papers/b-whitepaper_implementing_highly_available_dr_with_veritas_netbackup_01_08_13599373.pdf

The next problem comes in when these images expire - because the EMM database has no knowledge of backup status, the tapes will not be made available. Manual steps will be necessary to make them available.

A solid knowledge of 'Recovery without Import' is a requirement as well as 'bptm -makedbentry ....' and needs to be tested in a lab environment first. 

I personally will NOT be willing to try this in a production environment without Symantec's blessing...