cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 6.5 differential

Lisa804u
Level 3

Hi,

I am having Veritas netbackup 6.5.5 on windows 2003 sp2 .

i am facing some issue while taking file server backup through differential ,actually size of backup is not reducing when i am taking backup through differential..(Snap attach for ref)

Please suggest....

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
You need to have both schedules in the same policy.
Each schedule will have it's own window.
As I've said in my previous post, Incrementals (Diff or Cumm) only work as intended after the Full in the same policy was successful.
If there is no Full schedule in the policy, there is no reference point for the differential.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Will_Restore
Level 6
Differential Incremental Backup
Frequency: 1 week
Retention: 2 weeks

What are your parameters for Full Backup?

David_McMullin
Level 6
The differential is based off the last FULL - did you perform a successful FULL backup?

Karthikeyan_Sun
Level 6
 I am getting you the summarized details gathered from this forum itself. Answer yourself all these Questions  and let us know outcome !

Is all other Clients under that File Server policy running without any issues ?

DOCUMENTATION: After applying the NetBackup 6.5.2 release update, the first incremental backup run for each multistreamed 

policy on each client will run as if they were full backups. This issue does not occur when applying the NetBackup 6.5.2A release 

update.
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/304269.htm

What is your Schedule type of FullBackup, Incremental Schedule ?

The incremental backup is acting as a full backup when the full schedule is frequency based and the incremental schedule is calendar 

based

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/303314.htm

Are you running any 3rd pary softwares on your client ?

Some 3rd Pary Softwares may change Archive bit, that will make to go for full backup. (ex. copy utilities)

http://service1.symantec.com/support/ent-

security.nsf/854fa02b4f5013678825731a007d06af/26b40b71a625ce0a88257091004bb5bc?OpenDocument

Marianne
Level 6
Your policy name seems to be File-Server-Differential -
Do you have a schedule of type FULL in the same policy? Or is the Full backup in it's own policy?
Incrementals (Diff or Cumm) only work as intended after the Full in the same policy was successful.

Lisa804u
Level 3
 Hi,

I have two policy one for normal backup & another for differential  snap of both policy attach for ref.

first we schedule normal & than next day we schedule differential backup...

Marianne
Level 6
You need to have both schedules in the same policy.
Each schedule will have it's own window.
As I've said in my previous post, Incrementals (Diff or Cumm) only work as intended after the Full in the same policy was successful.
If there is no Full schedule in the policy, there is no reference point for the differential.

Lisa804u
Level 3
 Same is created & done ..but backup size is same.policy snap enclosed (schedule policy.doc)

Marianne
Level 6
So, you have a new policy called File-Server.
Have you done a full from this policy before trying the diff?

Lisa804u
Level 3
Same has been work, actually while scheduling the backup i need to select differential policy, which i am not selecting earlier due to this it taking default
 full backup...

Thanks Marianne for you help.......