cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup (6) error

Eagle8808
Not applicable

Hello guys.

Well. By trying to do a backup from my oracle db i got few errors. Made a verbose 5 log and found this:

11:04:08.263 [12054] <2> bprd_get_features: Cannot parse product and feature IDs from EXIT STATUS 23
11:04:08.264 [12054] <16> bsa_checkFeatureId: unable to check if feature <36> is licensed
11:04:08.264 [12054] <16> bsa_checkFeatureId: Server exit status = 43: unexpected message received
11:04:08.264 [12054] <2> xbsa_ProcessError: INF - entering
11:04:08.264 [12054] <2> xbsa_ProcessError: INF - leaving
11:04:08.264 [12054] <16> xbsa_ValidateFeatureId: ERR - VxBSAValidateFeatureId: Failed with error:
   Server Status:  unexpected message received

Im using netbackup 6.5.4. Using a UNIX system OS. Googled but found not so much information to solve this problem. Found a topic https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/rman-backup-issue where is saw my first 2 errors. But dident understood how he solved it. What dose he mean by saying "updated the service file permissions on the client".

Any guesses?

5 REPLIES 5

Yogesh9881
Level 6
Accredited

trying to do a backup from my oracle db i got few errors.  what is NBU policy type ??

are u using RMAN for oracle backup ?

Ivan_Tee
Level 3
Partner Accredited

is flat file backup successful for this client?

Oddy
Level 5
Employee

It sounds like the solution in the other case was that the /etc/services file did not have read permissions for everybody so the client could not get the information about the bprd port. Not sure this will be your solution.

I assume the snip you have is from the dbclient log on the client, it indicates that the client cannot connect to the bprd process on the master server to check the license key.

On the client try to su - oracle user and run

telnet <name on the master server> 13720

Port 13720 is the bprd port on the master server. Try also as root user.

I assume this will fail. First check that the first server line in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf points to the correct master server and if your rman script is using the "send" option with NB_ORA_SERV that this is correct as well. And check that ip adress is correct for the master in the /etc/hosts file.

If you have a firewall between the master and client, open the vnetd, bpcd and bprd port bidirectionally.

When you have got the telnet to the bprd port to work using the oracle user, test the backup again.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Check/verify comms between client and master.

When rman starts, a backup/connection request is sent from the client directly to bprd on the master server (via vnetd).
The master then needs to resolve the client's IP address to a hostname that appears in Client list of policy.

Please ensure that you have bprd log folder on the master. If it does not exist, create the folder and restart NBU. After next failure, check bprd log on master for incoming request from client's IP. If master is unable to resolve client's IP, add to hosts file. Ensure that master can resolve client's IP address to the Client name contained in the policy.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Another new list member who posted on the forum and never came back to check for answers................. indecision