cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0 - Deduplication

Leecabs
Level 4
I wanted to know how netbackup 7.0 deduplication works. We have a unix master and 100's of windows clients but not disk storage for backups - we backup straight to tape. So my question was. 1. Can we make use of deduplication without disk storage? 2. I read that dedupe works on the client so does that mean the client dedupes the data before it goes to the master and would it be possible to restore this deduped data straight from tape?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Can we make use of deduplication without disk storage?

No you cannot use deduplication without disk storage. Deduplication in NBU is nothing but Pure Disk code. Pure disk deduplication purely works on block level deduplication (block sharing).

and you cannot have block sharing on tapes.

I read that dedupe works on the client so does that mean the client dedupes the data before it goes to the master and would it be possible to restore this deduped data straight from tape?

Yes you have read it correct. NBU can do client (i.e. source) based deduplication as well (provided client is x64 bit) and will only sent the changed block to the NBU media server.

But as mentioned in the previous question you cannot send the deduped data to tape, so no question of restoring from tape...

If required you can export the entire deduped data (PDDO pool) to tape. This is to protect your PDDO pool.

Hope this answers your queries.

For more information refer to NetBackup deduplication guide...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Deepak_W
Level 6
Partner Accredited
Can we make use of deduplication without disk storage?

No you cannot use deduplication without disk storage. Deduplication in NBU is nothing but Pure Disk code. Pure disk deduplication purely works on block level deduplication (block sharing).

and you cannot have block sharing on tapes.

I read that dedupe works on the client so does that mean the client dedupes the data before it goes to the master and would it be possible to restore this deduped data straight from tape?

Yes you have read it correct. NBU can do client (i.e. source) based deduplication as well (provided client is x64 bit) and will only sent the changed block to the NBU media server.

But as mentioned in the previous question you cannot send the deduped data to tape, so no question of restoring from tape...

If required you can export the entire deduped data (PDDO pool) to tape. This is to protect your PDDO pool.

Hope this answers your queries.

For more information refer to NetBackup deduplication guide...