cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0 encryption, passphrase and passphrase file

AQasir
Level 4
Can anyone tell me is Symantec has changed (improved) the way Netbackup stores and uses backup encryption passphrases in Netbackup 7.0

The company i work for has a strict policy against any one admin from knowing the passphrase used for encryption and under Netbackup 6.0 there is no method for two admins to enter portions of the passphrase. Furthermore, the passphrase hash is stored in a file on the server which can be copied to other machines for restoring...this is also not acceptable. Lastly, there is no detailed auditing of passphrase entry, deleation, modification ...etc under the older version of netbackup.
1 REPLY 1

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
NBU by design is a backup software, with its features and limitations, and does its job of backup and recovery very well.
What is you're looking for (according to the list of desired features) resembles some kind of encryption/security software and there are a lot of vendors around who's solutions are now ready to use and could be integrated with NBU.
From my experience, I've seen hardware encryption implementation with Sun tape drives (Sun KMS), and its key/encryption management is completely separated and transparent for the NBU. Other LTO-4 tape drive vendors (e.g. IBM) could provide you with similar features.