Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.0 supports AIX 7.1 on IBM Power System S814

mrinal_sarkar62
Level 6

Hi,

We have the following:-

1. Symantec Netbackup 7.0 running on Windows 2008 R2.

2. AIX 7.1 running on IBM power System S814

Now, as I have check the compibilities where it says that NBU 7.0 do support AIX 7.1 but with the below notes.

***********************************************************************************

Symantec does not test all IBM POWER-based server models and relies on the IBM AIX 5L Version 5 binary compatibility statement. Reference:
<http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/power/software/aix/compatibility/index.html >

***********************************************************************************

My queries:-

1. Will the NBU support the AIX infra with the given hardware. Will there any caution need to be taken care.

2. I could not understand the above note given in the  Symantec compibilities docs. what that means "realies on the IBM AIX 5L ....statement."

PLease, help me on these queries.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

In regards to your two queries:

For #1:Yes, NBU will work on your system hardware. There are no concerns for your system.

For #2:

This a statement about the binary compatibility of the AIX OS and the IBM POWER architecture and nothing more. What it is pointing to is IBM's own binary compatibility statement for systems that are built in the different POWER Hardware architectures,, i.e. POWER 4, POWER 5, etc . It is an effort to define that if it runs on one level, it should run on all subsequent hardware levels as the code should not present any new hardware dependent instruction sets.  Each succeeding hardware processor will be at least a super set of hardware information, i.e. the processor instruction set in a POWER 5 will be maintained and contained in the next hardware processor type, such as POWER 6 and the OS support will also be compatible.

As such, NBU need only test the code on the earliest level of processor hardware and OS, as each succeeding hardware and OS release are stated to be completely compatible with previous releases, per IBM's own statement of support.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

In regards to your two queries:

For #1:Yes, NBU will work on your system hardware. There are no concerns for your system.

For #2:

This a statement about the binary compatibility of the AIX OS and the IBM POWER architecture and nothing more. What it is pointing to is IBM's own binary compatibility statement for systems that are built in the different POWER Hardware architectures,, i.e. POWER 4, POWER 5, etc . It is an effort to define that if it runs on one level, it should run on all subsequent hardware levels as the code should not present any new hardware dependent instruction sets.  Each succeeding hardware processor will be at least a super set of hardware information, i.e. the processor instruction set in a POWER 5 will be maintained and contained in the next hardware processor type, such as POWER 6 and the OS support will also be compatible.

As such, NBU need only test the code on the earliest level of processor hardware and OS, as each succeeding hardware and OS release are stated to be completely compatible with previous releases, per IBM's own statement of support.