cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.01 and Exchange 2010

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

We are just in the process of setting up a test environment for our new Exchange 2010 systems. As such we need to upgrade to Netbackup 7.01 (currently on 6.5.5).

I have spun up a test server (Windows 2K8) and successfully installed NBU 7.01, but that was the easy part. I have pushed out the Netbackup 7.01 client out the servers (it's a DAG cluster) (is there a specific Exchange agent?), and set up the policy.

Policy type: MS_Exchange Server

Perform Snapshot backups: VSS

Enable Granular Recovery : Yes

Database Source: Active Copy Only

Preferred Server List: DAG Cluster

When I go to backup selections, I can browse to the Microsoft Exchange Database Availability Groups:\ but don't see anything below that (Should I beable to see subfolders?)

When I run the backup, it fails, with the following in the Detailed Status window:

1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - requesting resource srvyctstnbs01-disk
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - requesting resource srvyctstnbs01.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.srvlab2k8mlc1n2
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - requesting resource srvyctstnbs01.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.Exchange
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - requesting resource EXCHANGE_RESOLVER.srvyctstnbs01.Exchange.srvlab2k8mlc1n2
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - granted resource srvyctstnbs01.NBU_CLIENT.MAXJOBS.srvlab2k8mlc1n2
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - granted resource srvyctstnbs01.NBU_POLICY.MAXJOBS.Exchange
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - granted resource EXCHANGE_RESOLVER.srvyctstnbs01.Exchange.srvlab2k8mlc1n2
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - begin Parent Job
1/25/2011 1:27:44 AM - begin Unknown Type, Start Notify Script
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - started process RUNCMD (820)
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - ended process 0 (820)
Status 0
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - end Unknown Type, Start Notify Script; elapsed time: 00:00:01
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - begin Unknown Type, Step By Condition
Status 0
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - end Unknown Type, Step By Condition; elapsed time: 00:00:00
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - begin Unknown Type, Read File List
Status 0
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - end Unknown Type, Read File List; elapsed time: 00:00:00
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - begin Unknown Type, Resolver Discovery
1/25/2011 1:27:45 AM - started process bpbrm (5824)
1/25/2011 1:28:15 AM - Error bpbrm(pid=5824) no worklist items returned from bpresolver on client  srvlab2k8mlc1n2  
Status 2
1/25/2011 1:28:20 AM - end Unknown Type, Resolver Discovery; elapsed time: 00:00:35
1/25/2011 1:28:20 AM - begin Unknown Type, Stop On Error
Status 0
1/25/2011 1:28:20 AM - end Unknown Type, Stop On Error; elapsed time: 00:00:00
1/25/2011 1:28:20 AM - begin Unknown Type, End Notify Script
1/25/2011 1:28:21 AM - started process RUNCMD (4836)
1/25/2011 1:28:21 AM - ended process 0 (4836)
Status 0
1/25/2011 1:28:21 AM - end Unknown Type, End Notify Script; elapsed time: 00:00:01
Status 2
1/25/2011 1:28:21 AM - end Parent Job; elapsed time: 00:00:37
none of the requested files were backed up(2)

I'm sure it's a simple fix somewhere that I am missing, but if I can't get this working, we are being forced to use DPM instead.....I don't want to use DPM.....Help please. Thanks.

Let me know what other information you may need...

Dan

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I had the same issue, and it ended up being that the master server could not access all servers in the the dag.

So the only thing I know to check is are all the servers that have dag database - show up in the client list of the master server.

Now I don't have an exchange cluster so not sure what server names you need.

but make a test policy that does nothing. ( no schedules not backup selection)

just add clients.  add all the names of the exchange 2010 servers ( as you have a cluster I would add both the physical names as well has the virtual cluster names) just to make sure that every name associated with the dag appears in the client list of the master.

The reason I want you to try this, is that when the policy looks at the dag it tries to enumerate all server names that appear in the dag, and if they do not show up in the client list of the master server, for some reason it cannot talk to it.

So if you can log into the exchange server and go look at the dag, get the names associated with both the active and the passive copies of all the databases in the dag and add them to this test policy just to get them in the client list.

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

What do you have for your client selection - that should be the name of the DAG not a server name.

You should be able to drill all the way down to see the different databases within the DAG.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

I have tried with the DAG cluster name (DAGCTS) or the individual servers....neither let's me see the databases.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Does anyone have any suggestions?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

It should be the DAG name, it will only work with the DAG name.

I have you set up the service account?  on page 53 of the 7.0 exchange guide?

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Service account has been set up..I can log in and access the Exchange Admin Console with the account as well...we are using the DAG name for the policy now. I changed it earlier today...so, still no luck.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

do the servers in your exchange cluster have the same NB master or are they in different NB domins (meaning 2 different masters)?

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

Same master...this is a small test domain that we built just for this project.

One master, one DAG

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I had the same issue, and it ended up being that the master server could not access all servers in the the dag.

So the only thing I know to check is are all the servers that have dag database - show up in the client list of the master server.

Now I don't have an exchange cluster so not sure what server names you need.

but make a test policy that does nothing. ( no schedules not backup selection)

just add clients.  add all the names of the exchange 2010 servers ( as you have a cluster I would add both the physical names as well has the virtual cluster names) just to make sure that every name associated with the dag appears in the client list of the master.

The reason I want you to try this, is that when the policy looks at the dag it tries to enumerate all server names that appear in the dag, and if they do not show up in the client list of the master server, for some reason it cannot talk to it.

So if you can log into the exchange server and go look at the dag, get the names associated with both the active and the passive copies of all the databases in the dag and add them to this test policy just to get them in the client list.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

So far, thanks for the help.....still no luck.

As this is a test environment, we made it simple. I have evicted the second node from the DAG and was able to backup a single Windows file from the instance name as well as the server.

I am still unable to browse the databases within the DAG....attached is a screen shot as well as  a shot of the policy.

Let me know if there is any other information you need....since its a test environment I can show you pretty much anything.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I still need to know if the client can be seen in the master servers client list.

As you say you have taken it down to one server being used by the DAG.

does that one server appear in the

Host Properties

Clients?

if it does not add it to a test policy just so it does.

The other thing is, who are you when you use the console?

Meaning what account name are you trying to drill down into the domain as.

Is that user setup in exchange 2010 as being allowed to.

Make sure port 1556 is open on the window 2008 firewall

check the vss writers are all stable.  I know that was one of my trouble spots.  Once they were all stable I did better.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

To answer your questions:

Yes it is listed in the Client List, and I can bring up the properties for the DAG as well as the individual server.

I have tried logging in and creating the policy both as the service account that is being used as a backup and as a Domain admin account...no luck.

The firewall rule was what I originally thought of, but I am able to backup a couple of other servers in that environment (Public Folders) with out any problems. As well when I do a bptestbpcd it returns successfully also.

The VSS writers are also stable.

Again, thanks for all the help on this.....

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

I know I had the same issue.

And I have told you everything I remember doing to fix the issue.

Maybe someone else has a suggestion.

Dan_Giberson
Level 5

I've also opened a support case...I will post the results when we get this working. But I still welcome any other suggestions.

psoltas
Not applicable

I see in the screen shot that shows your policy that under preferred servers you have the dag name.  You need to have the exchange servers listed in here.  You also have to have them in the servers list on the Master server.  From console go to Host Properties, Master Server.  Double click on your master server, then click on "Distributed Application Restore Mapping" and add the names of the Exchange nodes here.  Also be sure to add entries into the host file for the dag, the exchange nodes, and "autodiscover" (FQDN and should be the same IP as your DAG)