cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.1.0.2 backup VMs strange issues.

JJ_Zhang
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi all,

i've encounter a strange issues which i hope to seek some comments and advise here before logging a call with symantec.

i've a netbackup domain configure with V.I.P to backup all the VMs in each of the 3 x ESX servers.

-policy 1 tat backups all VMs in esx1, policy 2 to backup all VMs in esx2, and policy 3 to backup all VMS in esx3.

-each esx holds abt 15 x VMs.

The backup runs fine..EXCEPT for 3 particular VMs, which always failed with 156.

-There's no snapshot stuck in these 3 x VMs from Snapshot manager in the Virtual Center.

-At datastore level as well, there is no delta-files at the VMFS volume.

i've also tried to vMotion the 3 VMs to a different host, update the VIP policy to reflect the changes, and backup will still failed with this 3 x VMs.

however, if i create a new netbackup policy that do a manual selection on these 3 VMs, backup will run successfully.

comments plz~ :)

4 REPLIES 4

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Please check all of the snapshot options you have set for each policy - that is the only place i can see there would be something different between the policies

Maybe either a full mapping / quiecing issue

Is there anything linked between these three machines (have apps on them such as SQL / Exchange) which may be causing a quiece issue

Need a bit more from the logs on the Media Server to see exactly what the 156 error relates to

JJ_Zhang
Level 2
Partner Accredited
Hi mark... Thanks for yr reply...not much info in the media server log. Have look through bpfis, bpvmutil,..not much info on tat..the main thing I'm trying to understand/find out is y when I put the 3x vm as manual selection, it works..but as v.i.p, it doesn't. Even if I vMotion these 3 vm to a single esx, and moving the rest of vm out of this esx ( isolating this esx solely for these 3 vm), running a VIP policy on this esx will render the same error.

VirtualED
Level 5
Employee Accredited Certified

Can you provide the bpfis log from the VMware Backup host?  It would shed some light as to why you are getting Status 156.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Are the 3 xVM's vmx-7 hardware level. If not upgrade them.