cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.1 Email notifications

Milesm23
Level 3

Hello folks,

I have taken over the administration of NBU7.1 at my new job, I am new to the platform and the guy that was here before me had an e-mail notification setup to tell him what tapes were written.  I have seen the articles about how to tell which backups failed or which were successful but it seems he didnt use this route as it doesnt seem to be configured on the server.  Is there another way to configure the notification below?

Subject: Past 24 Hours Windows NetBackup Tapes Written

Here are the Windows server tapes that have been written in the past 24 hours.  Tapes that are not 000101-000199 do not get sent offsite.

Media ID   Last Written       Server

--------   ----------------   ----------

000117     03/06/2012 01:58   **nbu02

000168     03/05/2012 19:08   **nbu02

000007     03/06/2012 05:52   **nbu02

000116     03/06/2012 05:13   **nbu02

000143     03/05/2012 16:25   **nbu02

000144     03/05/2012 16:23   **nbu02

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RonCaplinger
Level 6

This particular emailed report is not set up within NetBackup.

If you look in your .../netbackup/bin/goodies directory, there is a "mail_bp_reports" script that produces the output you see above.  It is likely running from cron (if you use Unix) or Windows Scheduler.  If you need to modify the recipient email addresses, you would need to edit the command being executed by the scheduler to change who receives it, as the recipient list is being specified at the time the script is run.

There are other reports in that .../goodies directory you can set up to me emailed to you.  Check the README in that directory for their descriptions.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

scripting is fun but for this I think you can use other tools as Vault or OpCenter both can handle way more, but there is not much I can tell without seeing the script and know what is doing.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

This particular emailed report is not set up within NetBackup.

If you look in your .../netbackup/bin/goodies directory, there is a "mail_bp_reports" script that produces the output you see above.  It is likely running from cron (if you use Unix) or Windows Scheduler.  If you need to modify the recipient email addresses, you would need to edit the command being executed by the scheduler to change who receives it, as the recipient list is being specified at the time the script is run.

There are other reports in that .../goodies directory you can set up to me emailed to you.  Check the README in that directory for their descriptions.

Milesm23
Level 3

Thanks Ron, I found it there.

If I wanted a success and or failure email is it easiest to just follow the document that Symantec has setup and run it from there or do it with a scheduled task like the one I currently have is?

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

would not want to find the one that is running and change the email address from theirs to yours - rather that starting a whole new one?

you don't say if you are running windows or unix master

it could be

unix:  in cron

in the /usr/openv/netbackup/bin/parent_end.notify script  or a bpend script

in windows

it could be in job scheduler

or in <installdir>netbackup/bin/parent or bpend notify

other wise that other email will just keep going to the address that does not exist.

and if you have NOM or OpsCenter it could be coming from there as a scheduled report.

you don't happen to have and old email that you can tell where it came from do you?

Milesm23
Level 3

I'm sorry I think I made that last post rather confusing.

I found the alert that was coming that told the tapes written in the last 24 hours, did a simple e-mail change and it is all polished up.

now I want to setup an alert that is not currently running (that I know of) I want to be alerted when a backup fails or has exceptions and was wondering the best way to do so.

I am running a Windows Server btw.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

If you want one report emailed to you showing a summary of successful and failed backups, you can schedule a "bpdbjobs -summary -L" report in Windows Scheduler or cron, which looks like this:

-bash-3.00$ sudo bpdbjobs -summary -L
Summary of jobs on my_master_server
Queued:                                1
Waiting-to-Retry:                        0
Active:                           1
Successful:                   10403
Partially Successful:           152
Failed:                           0
Incomplete:                       0
Suspended:                        0
Total:                        10557 

See the NetBackup Commands reference manual, page 108, for other options, including the -report option that will show the status of backups on a client-by-client basis.

If you have it set up, the OpsCenter reports might be a better option.

If you just want to receive an email  it is better to set that up in the Client Properties in the NetBackup GUI (under "NetBackup Management" -> "Host Properties" -> select which host(s) you want to be notified on -> "Universal Settings"), then:

• if you want to get an email only when a backup fails but NOT for successful ones,select "Client sends mail", and enter your email address.
  • if you want to get an email for every job (backup, restore, etc.), whether successful or not, select "Server sends mail" and enter your email address.

(Note that this option appears to be the opposite of what is in the NBU Admin Guide I, no idea why.)

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

or just search - there have been a LOT of threads on that.

NOM or OpsCenter has alerts for that if you have one of this setup (free software for monitoring netbackup)