Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.1 SQl Cluster SAN Backup

bknkrishnan
Not applicable
Partner

Hi,

We have 5 SQL Instances (With Their OWN IP/Host Name) running on a Windows Cluster. I have Enterprise Client Licenses for both the Physical Nodes. However, when I am attempting a Backup using the Storage Unit configured on this physical nodes for the SQL Instances, it is failed with Status Code 2063 (Not licensed for Remote Clients). Should I need to have media Server License for the Physical Nodes? Or is there any specific way of configuring SAN backups for SQL Instances running on Windows 2008 Clusters?

2 REPLIES 2

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

If you want any server to do its own backups it has to be a Media server - talk to your sales rep.

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You should be able to install NBU as a SAN media server using the Enterprise client license upon install.

You then configure two separate media servers in NBU with the addition of the logical coupling of application cluster in EMM mapping to the virtual name for the SQL instance. This way NBU will select the appropriate SAN media server based on which host the instance is active. This way your backup will always be local on the active node. The problem with not using app_cluster is that NBU may select the other node, and then you get the 2063 error.

I have explained this in another thread, please see;

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/san-media-server-backup-failed-status-2063

The thread ended with suggesting that adding a full media server license, but unless Symantec has changed the licensing and/or the technical functionality, this should not be necessary.

/A