cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 

Netbackup 7.1 Sparc 10 Media Server Installation

Andicomposa
Level 4

Hello,

We are currently running on Sun Master and Windows Media Servers which are working quite well.

Currently we have a new requirement to add Sun Sparc media server to existing netbackup enviroment. I have Sun Sparc Server ISO image and all_unix ISO images. I tried using both the images but endup with installation od either nbu client or master software.

As in rocedures of installing NBU Media server step 11 below is not visible in installation process.

Is (name) the master server? [y,n]

My question is does nbu have diffrent media for Media Servers? If not how the hell am i going to get to install it without embaressing myself by ending up with master / client services?

Thnaks in advance.

Bye,

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am reading through this thread again...

I remember a similar, recent forum thread where this issue was caused by incorrect license key.

NBU Enterprise Server or Enterprise Client license is needed to install media server or SAN media server.

If you have 'NetBackup Server' license key, it will automatically install a standalone master/media server.
No media servers are supported with this license key.

Please double-check the description of your license key and confirm with your NBU reseller and/or Symantec Customer care that the correct license key was purchased.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

so without apperaing the 11 step.. does the installation is compleated..?

if yes.. what all you are seeing in bp.conf of the media server...?

Andicomposa
Level 4

Hi Nagalla,

Yes! Installation compleates successfuly.

The bp.conf file shows the sparc servers name as server and client name.

Thanks,

Marianne
Is (name) the master server? [y,n]

"n" will automatically make the local server a media server.

Next step is to prompt you for master server name.

See NetBackup Installation Guide for UNIX and Linux : http://http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC5154

1st SERVER entry in bp.conf should be the master.

EMM entry in bp.conf should be the master.

Andicomposa
Level 4

As said above, the installation is not asking  "Is (name) the master server? [y,n]"  and my question is:

1. Does nbu has separate media server package for Sparc?

2. Can i finish the installation as master and make the it media server in any way?

This is confusing at thins time to me, please feedback.

Thanks

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited
1. No - the media server install is actually the same as the master. Due to a couple of bp.conf settings however, only the media server processes should run. 2. Yes, though I probably shouldn't recommend it ... If you take 'an. other' master server and do the following: 1. On the real master, make sure it can fully resolve (forwards and backwards) the name of the media 2. On the media, do the same for the master 3. On the real master, add SERVER = 'media server name' to bp.conf. Make sure the entry is below the SERVER = 'master server name' 4. Stop NBU services on the media server 5. On the media server, add SERVER = 'master server name' to the top of the bp.conf file 6. On the media server, remove the EMM_SERVER line from bp.conf 7. Restart NBU on the media server It should 'auto_add' into EMM on the master server, check using nbemmcmd -listhosts TBH, all that should happen that is now 'not standard' on the new media is that it has an NBDB /EMM database that is unused - so I don't see any big issue, apart from the annoying fact that I don;t know why it hasn't worked as it should. The 'new media' could always be removed if you want to investigate / re-try the 'usual' installation. M

Marianne

2. Can i finish the installation as master and make the it media server in any way?

You really don't want to do this.

Installing this server as a master will create an EMM database and configure it as a standalone master server (in addition to bp.conf entries...)
If this is what you have done, rather uninstall and start again.
You don't want to spend days/weeks to try and fix it, right?

Please take your time to read though the Installation Guide before attempting media server installation again.

Please also locate the installation log (/usr/openv/tmp/install_trace.### ).
Copy the file to install_trace.txt and post as File attachment.

Marianne

I am reading through this thread again...

I remember a similar, recent forum thread where this issue was caused by incorrect license key.

NBU Enterprise Server or Enterprise Client license is needed to install media server or SAN media server.

If you have 'NetBackup Server' license key, it will automatically install a standalone master/media server.
No media servers are supported with this license key.

Please double-check the description of your license key and confirm with your NBU reseller and/or Symantec Customer care that the correct license key was purchased.