cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5.0.4 and Exchange 2010 backup ( GRT )

spillo1981
Level 4

Good Morning,

I'm trying to backup an Exchange server with GRT "option".

I follwed the istruction that i found here :http://www.symantec.com/connect/videos/exchange-2010-sp2-grt-netbackup-75

On Media server i stopped and disable the Server and Client NFS services

I execute the command " sc config portmap start= auto "

and i created the empty file No.Restricions under C:\Program Files\Veritas\Netbackup\db\altnames

On the Exchange server the client disable the Server NFS services.

I created the backup policy ( MS-Exchage Server ) and I "flag" Perform snapshot backup and Enable granula recovery.

I submitted the backup job and a first result is

Info bptm(pid=5716) using 32 data buffers        
22/01/2013 13:00:07 - Error bpbrm(pid=992) from client "clientname": ERR - Client for NFS service is either not installed or not running.
22/01/2013 13:00:09 - Info bptm(pid=5716) start backup          
22/01/2013 13:00:09 - Info bptm(pid=5716) backup child process is pid 5420.4608      
22/01/2013 13:00:09 - Info bptm(pid=5420) start           
22/01/2013 13:00:09 - begin writing
22/01/2013 13:00:24 - Error bpbrm(pid=992) from client "clientname"- Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for Microsoft Information Store:\clientname_MB_01_Do_Not_Use\Logs_1358855898\
22/01/2013 13:00:24 - Error bpbrm(pid=992) from client "clientname": ERR - Exchange granular restore from this image may not work.

So at this point where I wrong ?

I'm trying to backup on DataDomain

Many thanks

R.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Sometimes worth setting a proxy host for restores (under client host properties for the exchange servers) - this would be you media server

As it looks like that media server is an appliance then i guess the fragment size it writes to disk is the default at 25600 MB.

To reduce the database system errors it is worth increasing the client read timeouts (to at least 1800) on the Media servers and also for GRT backups i like to use a smaller fragement size as it mounts smaller chunks of the backup images to do the restore - i like to use 5000MB which is a lot smaller than an appliances default

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16

spillo1981
Level 4

EDIT:

I solved  the proble regarding NFS service..

Now i have another problem

Error bpbrm(pid=2536) from client CLIENTNAME: ERR - Unable to initialize nbfsd.   
22/01/2013 15:16:25 - Error bpbrm(pid=2536) from client CLIENTNAME: ERR - Error encountered while attempting to get additional files for Microsoft Information Store:\CLIENTNAME_MB_01_Do_Not_Use\Logs_1358863991\
22/01/2013 15:16:25 - Error bpbrm(pid=2536) from client CLIENTNAME: ERR - Exchange granular restore from this image may not work.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Moved from "NetBackup Appliances" forum to "NetBackup" forum

aleco
Level 2
Partner
We have just had a few issues with GRT and Exchange 2010. But before you get to solving issues make sure you have everything in place, try below articles: http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187446 http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO73076 Also, GRT will not work with circular logging enabled, as we found out. See how you go.

spillo1981
Level 4
Hello aleco, i checked all points that you suggest in your pages. In the end the problem was that the client tried to solve the media server using the SQDN .. so we solved the problem inserting the DNS suffix. Unfortunately now, matser side i have another problem during the restore. If i try to explore the public folder i receive this error

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sometimes worth setting a proxy host for restores (under client host properties for the exchange servers) - this would be you media server

As it looks like that media server is an appliance then i guess the fragment size it writes to disk is the default at 25600 MB.

To reduce the database system errors it is worth increasing the client read timeouts (to at least 1800) on the Media servers and also for GRT backups i like to use a smaller fragement size as it mounts smaller chunks of the backup images to do the restore - i like to use 5000MB which is a lot smaller than an appliances default

Hope this helps

spillo1981
Level 4
Good morning Mark, unfortunately the "client_read_timeout" is 7200

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - try the proxy host and the fragment size then - if you change the fragment size you will need another full backup first in order to test restores from that one

spillo1981
Level 4
Ok, i will try with the proxy host.. For fragment size is more complex.. The db in this moment is about 1 TB.. so it will be necessary about 5 Hours to perform another backup.. Stay tuned :) !

aleco
Level 2
Partner
Hi all. I'm not a big expert, hence I had to log a case with Symantec support. We encountered an issue where after successful backup of Exchange 2010 DAG (with GRT or without) we were unable to get to the restored data. We could see it, but when we selected a backup and clicked ok we got an error. Our Master server is Redhat 6.3, after checking the logs we found the issue to be that the name of the DAG was referred to in lower case characters, where in the Java GUI it was in caps. To fix this we just linked one location to another using symbolic link. We found the following in the logs: 12:28:41.797 [10392] <2> DbmOdbcView::fetchChars: (.2) Fetched : client_name.corpad.net.local 12:28:41.797 [10392] <2> image_dir: ? 12:28:41.797 [10392] <2> image_dir_name: ? 12:28:41.797 [10392] <2> ImageListFiles::executeQuery: No images for client client_name.corpad.net.local if your Master server is Linux, check if you have the following: /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/CLIENT_NAME /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images/client_name If your Master server is Windows, then I may not be able to assist you. Regards Alex

spillo1981
Level 4

Hello aleco many thanks for your suggestion but my media server is W2008 R2.

The strange thing in this moment is that client side when we try to expand a single public forlder i saw , master side,always a restore process.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

The restore is perfectly normal - the backup image gets mounted and read to expand the trees as you browse the image - it always happens with GRT backups

The issue is if that restore job finishes before the tree has expanded after which you get nothing or the database system error

This is why client read timeouts (clients and especially the media server) are so important as it needs to be more time than it takes to read the image and this is also where the smaller storage unit fragment size really comes into play as it can just pick the fragment involved and work on that rather than the default huge fragment which again could casue the timeout

The database system error usually is a combination of bpcd and bpdbm timeouts - much of which were hard coded with much higer values in the later releases of NetBackup for the very reason of GRT restores

Still worth a try with a smaller fragment size

spillo1981
Level 4
Hi Mark.. in this moment the fragment size is 524288 Mbyte

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - so would you be able to try a 5000MB fragment size to see if it resolves your issue?

#edit#

One other thing I just remembered .....

When opening the BAR GUI it by default selects a lot of backup images ... this can also cause an issue.

Make sure that you only select one backup image (one little green orb) before trying to expand anything

Hope this helps

spillo1981
Level 4
Hello Mark, I chnged the fragment size into 5000MB now the result after some minutes is ERROR: Cannot connect on socket

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Ok - So maybe getting there

Put you client read timeout right up on your media server first, i know it is already 7200 but increase it anyway.

Next look to see if you use a proxy for restores - thsi si on the clients host properties  - Windows Client - Exchange tab (the exchange granualr restore proxy host)

If you are not then put your media server in there, if you are then remove it - it is all trial and error for what is best in your environment - do this for all mailbox servers and see if it helps

Also keep an eye the restore job to see if that finishes long before you get the error - thsi indicates where the timeout is ocurring

It is worth setting the client read timeout on the mailbox servers host proerties to a high value too

See if this helps

spillo1981
Level 4

mmmm I inserted as proxy the media server that performed the backup. Client Read timeout is now setting to 14400 but i have always the same result ERROR: Cannot connect on socket

EDIT: moreover.. client side for every "browsing" to search the item  I saw a restore of 20 minutes... is it normal ?