Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5.0.4 in need of more space in /tmp

Andre_Torres
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi everyone,

I have an NetBackup 7.5 and trying to upgrade to 7.5.0.4 (HPUX ia64). During the installation it says me I have about 1.2 GB of free space in /tmp and NetBackup needs about 2.4 GB in /tmp.

The problem is, my /tmp is a fixed size, about 1.4GB in total. Can I redirect where NetBackup can extract the files to another directory with more disk space?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yikes!  Don't edit the script; set your NB_TMPDIR environment variable prior to starting the script:

# NB_TMPDIR=/verylargepartition/tmp; export NB_TMPDIR

(I will be corrected, hopefully, if that's not the "HP" version of how to set that environment variable)

The error you've received is actually an improvement over how it USED to be, with the install filling up the disk and failing, leading to unexpected results.  For example:

On Solaris, when applying 7.5.0.1, if insufficient space exists in /tmp, the patch process will abort leaving a master or media server with only the client binaries installed.
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH189085

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Yes you need to edit the installation script and point your TMP or TMPDIR variable (can't remember exactly what it is off the top of my head) to another location.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I have written a small blog about that subject here:

http://www.mass.dk/netbackup/quick-hints/69-alternate-file-upload-using-installclientfiles.html

CRZ
Level 6

Yikes!  Don't edit the script; set your NB_TMPDIR environment variable prior to starting the script:

# NB_TMPDIR=/verylargepartition/tmp; export NB_TMPDIR

(I will be corrected, hopefully, if that's not the "HP" version of how to set that environment variable)

The error you've received is actually an improvement over how it USED to be, with the install filling up the disk and failing, leading to unexpected results.  For example:

On Solaris, when applying 7.5.0.1, if insufficient space exists in /tmp, the patch process will abort leaving a master or media server with only the client binaries installed.
 http://symantec.com/docs/TECH189085

jim_dalton
Level 6

As an aside, 1.4G of tmp is miniscule from my viewpoint but then this is HPUx, so its rules may differ.

If tmp is sized according to memory, then this could be another issue (tho I doubt it). 

Sure its not just full of someone elses junk? I read by default /tmp isnt cleared on reboot.

Jim

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

CRZ,

I've not looked at the install script for a while, do they pull the shell variable settings into the script or is the variable reset within the script?

CRZ
Level 6

I believe the latest iteration of the script looks for NB_TMPDIR, then looks for TMPDIR, and if neither is already set, it will set TMPDIR to /tmp and move on.  When NB_TMPDIR exists, it will override TMPDIR as the script will set TMPDIR using the value of NB_TMPDIR. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm not actually looking at the script right now either, so there is a chance I'm not 100% correct...but I feel sure enough to hit "Save"

Andre_Torres
Level 5
Partner Accredited

It worked.

But how do I undo the changes in NB_TMPDIR and "unexport" the directory? Or do I leave that way.

CRZ
Level 6

Probably wouldn't hurt to leave it that way, but you can unset the variable by either setting it again to NULL (or "") or by unsetting by using the appropriate shell command (unset or unsetenv or ...?)  Again, it really depends which shell you're using.