cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5.0.6 - Incremental backup with VMware policy on Exchange

JKIM1
Level 3

Hi,

I'm having a bit of issue with doing incremental backup (VMware policy) on Exchange.

Full backup runs fine but when I do differential, it throws status code 198; no active policies contain schedules of the requested type for this client.

- Optimizations is set on; Enable file recovery from VM backup, Exclude deleted blocks, Exclude swap and paging files.

- Appilication Protection is set on Enable Exchange Recovery and Truncate logs

As the following link (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO72088) says, does Netbackup still not support

incremental backup on Exchange using VMware policy, even with 7.5.0.6?

Should I set up another policy for incremental backup on MS-Exchange if that's the case?

Cheers,

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not even supported at 7.6 i am afraid:

VMware incremental backups of Exchange Server are not supported with this
version of NetBackup. However, the use of Accelerator may increase the speed
of full backups.

You may just need to do it outside of VMware if you need that functionality - of course you dont get GRT with incrementals - just the logs backed up / truncated

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Will_Restore
Level 6

Sorry, that won't work as you might expect.  If you set up Exchange policy with Differential schedule it doesn't know about the VMware Full backup.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Not even supported at 7.6 i am afraid:

VMware incremental backups of Exchange Server are not supported with this
version of NetBackup. However, the use of Accelerator may increase the speed
of full backups.

You may just need to do it outside of VMware if you need that functionality - of course you dont get GRT with incrementals - just the logs backed up / truncated

rawilde
Level 4
Employee

Application protection for VMware based policies do not support incremental schedules. If your environment supports it, you can use accelerator FULLS, which act like incremental backups, but are logically treated as a FULL backup and Exchange protection will work in that configuration.