cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5.0.6 Upgrading Windows Server 2003

hswipf
Level 2

I'm running NBU 7.5.0.6 on a Windows 2003 32bit server.  I have a new server built with Windows server 2012r2.  I've found that 7.5.0.6 is the latest version available for Win2003 but it not compatible with Win2012r2.  Without building a 3rd server on Win2008, what would be the simplest (and hopefully quickest) path to migrate from one to the other?

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This is unfortunately the result of waiting this long to upgrade. You will need a W2008 server as intermediate step.

Lowell_Palecek
Level 6
Employee

This didn't seem right to me so I checked the Compatibility List. I find that client support for Windows 2012 R2 started with NetBackup 7.5.0.6.

If it's your master or media server that you still have on Windows 2003, then I agree that your situation is more complicated. Master and media server support for Windows 2012R2 starts with NetBackup 7.6.

Sorry, left out that critical information.  It is our master server.  Thank you both for the bad news : ).

A follow up question.  If I build a Win2008 server to bridge the gap an import the catalog from Win2003 server can I temporarily shut down the Win2008 server to perform a backup using the Win2003 server?  (I understand I may have to do some gymnastics with host names and IP addresses).  If that is possible, is there an article that would provide direction to do such a thing?

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Yes. You need to take a full catalog backup of the W2003 server. Install W2008 server with same hostname and IP, install and patch NBU to same path and exact same version of NBU, present devices, media and DR-file, then recover catalog.
Run for a day or 2 on this server to ensure all is good, then upgrade to 7.7.3 or 8.0.

You can then use the same procedure to migrate to W2012.

I will post a TN explaining all of this next time I am online.