cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5.0.7 with Accelerator using Netapp volume as storage unit?

ALo
Level 4

Hi all,

I've got a Netapp with a bunch of unused space which I've carved a cifs share volume.  I've added that as a storage unit to our Netabckup master server.

I'm wondering if I can use Accelerator for that storage unit.  When I enabled it, it popped up with the message:

To use the accelerator, select storage units from a supported storage server:
PureDisk Deduplication (PDDO), Media Server Deduplication (MSDP), Symantec clouds, and other qualified storage servers.
Currently configured and supported storage servers are:

Is there something I can tweak to make this work?

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

NBU35
Level 6

In a nut shell MSDP & Accelrator will work only in case of internal local storage or SAN.

It wont work on NAS protocols like NFS, CIFS.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

What type of storage unit did you create ?

Accelerator feature require a MSDP pool (also called PureDisk internally in NBU).

But it look like MSDP on CIFS isn't supported  - Page 46

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6466

If you attach via FibreChannel its perfectly supported ?

ALo
Level 4

Thanks for the quick response Nicolai.  All I did was go to NBU console>Storage Units>New Storage Unit.  Enter specifc info where the storage is.

Thanks.

ALo
Level 4

Sorry guys, obviously I'm totally out to lunch with the setup assuming it was straight forward..  much appreciated for your replies.

NBU35
Level 6

To use acceleartor u should have MSDP STU, to have MSDP STU, u need to have DISK Pool and for that first of all u need to configure Storage server of MSDP type.

If I am not wrong your current STU is of Basic Disk Type, So on your current STU, it is not possible to enable accelerator.

Because when you try to configure disk pool of MSDP type, wizard will not detect CIFS share and hence MSDP is not possible, so on Accelerator feature will be disabled on that STU.

NBU35
Level 6

As per Deduplication guide storage from following connection is supported only for MSDP.

Storage area network (Fibre Channel or iSCSI), direct-attached storage (DAS), or internal disks.

According to this CIFS share can not be used as MSDP, and untill its MSDP, you wont be able to use accelerator feature for this storage unit. Because to use acceleartor it is prerequsite that storage unit should be of PureDisk Deduplication (PDDO), Media Server Deduplication (MSDP), Symantec supported clouds.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I think you will find help in the dedupliocation guide - it has step by step instruction for installing a MSDP pool

http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC6466

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hello,

In support of above comments. If you want to make use of those unused space on NetApp and also use accelerator feature to speed up your backup, so, you should do the following:

1. Map a volume from NetApp to your media server via FC or iscsi.

2. Setup FS on the volume on media server, and then setup msdp on it.

Thanks

ALo
Level 4
Thanks again ChAmp35 and Nicolai for your info. Thanks Walker_Yang. In our case we're running VMware via NFS volume, so we should carve the extra space as NFS vol and add that space to out master/media Win2k8 server, format that space as ntfs file system. Would that work?

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee

Hello,

How your server access your NFS vol? in other words, how you add your NFS vol to your server?

I'm feeling that your server access your NFS vol via cifs, is that right?

I mean if you add your vol to your server via ISCSI or FC, that would be ok,

if via CIFS or NFS, don't work.

Thanks

NBU35
Level 6

In a nut shell MSDP & Accelrator will work only in case of internal local storage or SAN.

It wont work on NAS protocols like NFS, CIFS.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Page 45 from the Netbackup deduplication guide

Storage area network (Fibre Channel or iSCSI), direct-attached storage (DAS), or internal disks.

The storage area network should conform to the following criteria:
■ A dedicated, low latency network for storage with a maximum 0.1-millisecond latency per
round trip.
■ Enough bandwidth on the storage network to satisfy your throughput objectives. Symantec
supports iSCSI on storage networks with at least 10-Gigabit Ethernet network bandwidth.
Symantec recommends the Fibre Channel storage networks with at least 4-Gigabit network
bandwidth.
■ The storage server should have an HBA or HBAs dedicated to the storage. Those HBAs must
have enough bandwidth to satisfy your throughput objectives.
Local disk storage may leave you vulnerable in a disaster. SAN disk can be remounted at a newly
provisioned server with the same name.

ALo  - I would go for a ISCSI volume.