cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 Master/Media Server Install over VMWARE (Suse)

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi there,

Does Anyone here have installed a Master/Media Server over a virtualized, (Vmware SuSE) environment?

The installation was fine, everythig workerd exatelly as I expected, but when I start the backup job I got (error 84) media Write I/O

My environmet.

Esx Vmware 5

Master and Media server 7.5 over a Virtual SLES 11

IBM Library (24 Slots + 1 Drive) Attached as SCSI device.

SuSE has recognized and configured.

Is there any issue that I'm missing? I'm getting every Job/Media the IO error.

Best Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

Note: VMware does not support Tape Drives connected directly to ESXi 5.0 which is documented under Release Notes for vSphere 5.0.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101640...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Will_Restore
Level 6

Note: VMware does not support Tape Drives connected directly to ESXi 5.0 which is documented under Release Notes for vSphere 5.0.

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101640...

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Thanks WR,

There is no way of trying that? Netbackup have found the library and the tape drive, the only problem is the backup io error..

Will_Restore
Level 6

I wish there were.  We played with this in ESX4.x and no luck either.  Connected tape library to physical server instead.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Totally agree with the others - lucky to even have it showning up, especially the robotics!

Best to keep the Master as a dedicated Master anyway - so that is fine virtualised - but media servers should be physical unless they are only writing to disk (or something connected via iSCSI)

Hope this helps

Claudio_Veronez
Level 6
Partner Accredited

I was trying to make something like,

put the clients and the servers at the same ESX cluster, I should make the backup traffic through the virtual switch, I'll try the OST plugin.

I would like to put a media server on each vmware/hiper-v / oracle VM/ Solaris Containers.

Thanks All

best regards

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Disk Storage Unit (Basic, Advanced and OST) is supported on VMs.

Media Manager STU needs to be on physical media server.

It is for the exact reason that you are experiencing now that Tape devices are not supported by VMware and not by NBU either. See: Support for NetBackup 7.x in virtual environments

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

It is not supported configuration.

However, correct setup of VMDirectPath (http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101078...) should allow your VM to write to tape. 

Once again, it is not supported, but competitive solutions (NetWorker, for example) work with SCSI devices via VMDirectPath easy.