Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 SQL Client not installing

StuartBailie
Level 3

Client Server: Windows 2003 Enterprise R1/SP2

Master Server: Windows 2008 R1 Standard / Netbackup 7.5.0.5

I'm tring to install the Netbackup client on the server above but when I get to the install it has two options grayed out, Install Locally and Install clustered, I can only "Install to multiple computers on your network".  I have tried running this from the console with administrative privledges but it doesn't seem to give me the local option.

Any ideas why this would be the case?  From what I can see only R2/SP0 and R1/SP1 have been retired so R1/SP2 shouldn't be a problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

StuartBailie
Level 3

Ok I just got a history lesson.  It would seem prior to any of our IT staff's employment here the server in question was setup as a media server, 6.5.2A is it's current version.  Since it is a media server it cannot be just a client as well so for that reason no upgrade is possible.

So it seems that the actual problem is that I'm blind.  Thank you everyone for your help.

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Do you have the software downloaded directly on the system ?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Have a look at the OS Compatibility Guide:  http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76648

Only Windows Server 2003 R2 is supported with NBU 7.5..

huanglao2002
Level 6

1 you should chek the SCL http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH76648&key=15143

2 please check the software MD5 checksum.

3 when you want to install 7.5.0.5.you should install 7.5 first and install  7.5.0.5 patch.

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner

@StuartBaillie,

I have installed successfully netbackup client (7.5, then patch to 7.5.0.4) on Windows 2003 R2/SP2 Standard Edition. the Server is a 32-bit version (x86) vmware guest system.

I have also a Physical Server running Windows 2003 R2/SP2 32-bit with netbackup client 7.5.0.4.

when you install the software, you need to make sure that the user has administrator privileges (and member of Lacal admin group) in order to write in c:\program files.

You can alse use 'runas' and specify the right user for installation with administrative privileges.

./nathan

StuartBailie
Level 3

Dyneshia - Yes the download is on the system directly and is being executed locally.

Marianne - Page 24 footnote 1 of the SCL says: "Windows Server Enterprise Edition is supported on SP1 and forward."

huanglao2002 - 1) See above, 2) Valid, 3) Already running 7.5.0.5 as orginally stated

nathanmike - I'm running this as a domain administrator.  I also tried specifing with "Run As" with no success.

Using the NetBackup Environment Check 2.0 appliction included with the download I get nothing but green checks, except for Terminal Services which was only used as the console was busy at the time.  While trying to do this install yesterday I was using the actual console and not TS so that should not be an issue.

Any other ideas of what might be preventing this from installing?

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Apologies Stuart - I read the wrong footnote - 'NetBackup 7.5 and later does not support this Operating System...'

Have you tried to install any other software application on this server (e.g. trial version of WinZip, etc) to see if there is something that prevents software installation?

StuartBailie
Level 3

That question just adds the the funniness of the situation.  I have installed the client without flaw on at least seven other servers, from the same download and install point.  Is there anything like a pending reboot, due to automatic updates, that would prevent this option from being used?

StuartBailie
Level 3

Sorry read your question wrong Marianne.  No I haven't tried installing anything else on this server.  Unfortunatly it is a production server and is carefully guarded by our DBA to ensure that nothing goes amiss on it.  For that reason also I won't be able to a test install that would help verify the ability to install software.

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner

@StuartBailie,

Is it a standalone Server or a Cluster node ?

If it is a Cluster node, are you connecting to server remotly user the virtual name ?

If so, connect using the hostname instead of virtual name and try again.

StuartBailie
Level 3

Nathan it isn't a cluster just a single server.

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

This usually means some time in the past, somebody may have tried to install NetBackup before, it didn't work, but it left something behind which is confusing your current install into thinking NetBackup is already there.  Can you check the registry, Add/Remove Software, &c. for evidence of NetBackup which may need to be blown away?  (And if you don't find any....maybe Backup Exec, instead?)

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner

@StuartBaillie,

Ok, then what Chris (CRZ) said about registry is true. If a 'previous' installation of netbackup was done before and uninstall not preperly (or your current installation is causing problem), it could lead to some problems for new installation of the same product.

It might be good for you to have help of your windows sys admin to sort this out. A good step will be to:

1. Uninstall netbackup client

2. Very that files in program files\veritas and Reg key have been removed properly.

3. Depending on your system (production, dev ,intergation ...) ask for windows maintenance to reboot the system.

4. Try to install netbackup client and check if you have the same issue

If you still have the problem, the best will be to open a case at symantec.

nathanmike
Level 4
Partner

@Dyneshia,

Very good TECHNOTE ;)

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Here is a good tech note that goes into what needs to be deleted from the registry

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH87262 - Manual uninstall procedures for Symantec NetBackup (tm) 6.x and 7.x

StuartBailie
Level 3

Ok I just got a history lesson.  It would seem prior to any of our IT staff's employment here the server in question was setup as a media server, 6.5.2A is it's current version.  Since it is a media server it cannot be just a client as well so for that reason no upgrade is possible.

So it seems that the actual problem is that I'm blind.  Thank you everyone for your help.