Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 Standalone Tape

Mr__Saz
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I have a doubt regarding deleting a Tape from Netbackup.

I have a tape that was (probably) deleted from Netbackup, and when the robot was re-inventoried the (new)robot created a media ID diferrent from what it was before the deleting, because the new robot had a different media ID generation rule.

My doubt is , IF I DELETE THE TAPE AGAIN and re-invitory it with the right media ID generation rule will i loose the data contained in that Tape?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Will_Restore
Level 6

>>Netbackup recognizes it as a NEW tape, since it has a new media ID now.

First thing - eject this tape ASAP!  Do not delay.

>> If i check the catalog for information on this tape. it will tell me there are no imagens on this tape.

If you delete a volume it does not erase the contents.  But NetBackup may try to overwrite this tape in the meantime so eject it and then fix your barcode rules.

>>If i check for the old ID this same tape had, i will get the result i wanted

OK, try deleting the volume, then run inventory and ensure you get the old media ID, then run Catalog > Verify on the images that you discovered above.  That should work.

View solution in original post

Will_Restore
Level 6

>>By deleting the volume you mean deleting the Tape ?

yes - select Media right-click > Delete (or Actions > Delete), or command line vmdelete

>>Btw the tape is already on Standalone.

that means it's not in the library but it's still in the volume database

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Will_Restore
Level 6

If there are valid images on the tape you won't be able to delete it.  Best thing to do is duplicate the images to another volume, expire images on the 'bad' tape, then you can delete and readd it with the correct ID.

Mr__Saz
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Wr,

This media ID was generated as soon as the Tape was inserted to Netbackup and the robot was inventoried. 

Netbackup recognizes it as a NEW tape, since it has a new media ID now. 

If i check the catalog for information on this tape. it will tell me there are no imagens on this tape.

If i check for the old ID this same tape had, i will get the result i wanted but netbackup will never be able to duplicate it since the tape now has a new media ID assigned to it.

I dont know if i was clear, if i delete this tape, will i erase the information contained on it? Or will i be able to use it again when applyed to the right media ID generation rule?

Will_Restore
Level 6

>>Netbackup recognizes it as a NEW tape, since it has a new media ID now.

First thing - eject this tape ASAP!  Do not delay.

>> If i check the catalog for information on this tape. it will tell me there are no imagens on this tape.

If you delete a volume it does not erase the contents.  But NetBackup may try to overwrite this tape in the meantime so eject it and then fix your barcode rules.

>>If i check for the old ID this same tape had, i will get the result i wanted

OK, try deleting the volume, then run inventory and ensure you get the old media ID, then run Catalog > Verify on the images that you discovered above.  That should work.

Mr__Saz
Level 3
Partner Accredited

Wr,

I will work on this right now.

Just a little something more.

By deleting the volume you mean deleting the Tape ?

Btw the tape is already on Standalone.

Will_Restore
Level 6

>>By deleting the volume you mean deleting the Tape ?

yes - select Media right-click > Delete (or Actions > Delete), or command line vmdelete

>>Btw the tape is already on Standalone.

that means it's not in the library but it's still in the volume database