cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5.X for Windows 2012 support

mrdr
Not applicable

Does anyone know what version of Netbackup support Windows Server 2012?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

thesanman
Level 6

I logged a call the other day and was told:

"Support for Windows 2012 client will be added in NetBackup 7.5.0.6 as well as NetBackup 7.6.  The 7.5.0.6 release is expected in early Q2 of 2013 but, unlike the 7.6 release, will not support optimized backup and restore of NTFS data deduplication."

There is also a base client support kit available for v7.1.0.4 if you can't wait with some significant caveats associated with it.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

thesanman
Level 6

I logged a call the other day and was told:

"Support for Windows 2012 client will be added in NetBackup 7.5.0.6 as well as NetBackup 7.6.  The 7.5.0.6 release is expected in early Q2 of 2013 but, unlike the 7.6 release, will not support optimized backup and restore of NTFS data deduplication."

There is also a base client support kit available for v7.1.0.4 if you can't wait with some significant caveats associated with it.

Ashish-Sharma
Level 6
Accredited

HI,

You can test NBU 7.6 Beta testing:

Customers can register for beta tests at http://symbeta.symantec.com .

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Yes - coming on 7.5.0.6 - and as a guide I believe Symantec always work on a 90 day support rule - meaning that within 90 days of a new O/S or App being released they will support it (at least Microsoft wise)

Hope this helps

vkralj
Level 3

:(

Solution till then - backup from another server with backup network drives enabled

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Better still put it on VMWare then use the API - NetBackup shouldn't care which O/S it is then (I assume)

Anonymous
Not applicable

Of course caring about VMware then there is this support compatibility to consider atm.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/detail.php?deviceCategory=software&testConfig=16&produ...

Slightly left of topic here are some notes I have collected over the last couple of days in preparation for Windows 2012 Server as a Guest OS on VMware..

Hope you find these useful for anyone looking at 2012 as a VM.

This one is very good!

"Sounds like the same issue I had when I first installed a VM with 2012 RTM, which was fixed by using EFI instead of the regular BIOS (requires reinstall). Check http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2021887 and maybe http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2006859 too while you're at it.

I haven't tried deploying it as a template yet though. 

Anyways, with vSphere 5.1 being released tomorrow-ish (and maybe 5.0 U2?), there might be a fix or two around some bugs when running 2012."

Currently, 5.0 U1 supports 2012/W8 with Support Considerations:Tech Preview only.

Also, you and everyone who deployed Server 2012 VMs on 5.0 U1 should be aware of this circumstance when upgrading to 5.1, essentially preventing vMotion:

Snapshots and checkpoints of virtual machines with Windows 8 or Windows Server 2012 do not boot

I'm late to the party but figured I would chime in. The process is the same as on previous versions of Windows. The profile you are logged into making the changes to the UI is the profile you will need to copy. What you have to do is create another local profile with admin rights. Reboot the computer and login using the new user. Go to Explorer and right-click Computer and select Properties. On the left select Advance System Properties, then the Advance Tab and the User Profiles Settings button. From there it should allow you to copy the profile you made the changes to over to the Default Profile. Make sure you add write access via the Everyone group to the Default Profile so it can write the changes. From there any new profile that gets created will inherit the changes from the Default Profile. Also, if this is going to be a template don't forget Sysprep!

Eric_ODell
Level 3

where can I get the install for the client support kit available for v7.1.0.4?