cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 error 811 failed to communicate with resource requester

XTREM1337
Level 4

I have a Master Server connected to a SL500 Library and a Media server connected to a storage unit with a staging schedule.

Everything's running fine till a created a storage unit to my Master sever. I created it with a staging schedule and 2 days afters I've got this error :

Its look like that my second storage unit attached to my Master server has created a conflic with the media server...

I removed the storage unit on my Master server, I rebooted the 2 servers and everything is ok...no more error.

Can we have a storage unit on the master server and media server? does I need more licences? I really dont know why I've got this issue...

thanks for your help

here the log:

error 811 failed to communicate with resource requester

12/15/2012 5:34:06 AM - Info nbjm(pid=4504) starting backup job (jobid=33446) for client CL-PD-VW-PRS-DC01, policy PRESIMA_VM, schedule PRESIMA_HEBDO 
12/15/2012 5:34:08 AM - estimated 0 Kbytes needed
12/15/2012 5:34:08 AM - Info nbjm(pid=4504) started backup (backupid=CL-PD-VW-PRS-DC01_1355567647) job for client CL-PD-VW-PRS-DC01, policy PRESIMA_VM, schedule PRESIMA_HEBDO on storage unit Staging_MED01
12/15/2012 5:34:09 AM - started process bpbrm (3508)
12/15/2012 5:34:15 AM - connecting
12/15/2012 5:34:16 AM - connected; connect time: 00:00:01
12/15/2012 8:34:20 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=3508) CL-PD-VW-PRS-DC01 is the host to backup data from    
12/15/2012 8:34:20 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=3508) reading file list from client       
12/15/2012 8:34:21 AM - Info bpbrm(pid=3508) starting bpbkar32 on client        
12/15/2012 8:35:07 AM - Info bpbkar32(pid=6776) Backup started          
12/15/2012 8:35:07 AM - Info bptm(pid=3724) start           
12/15/2012 8:35:08 AM - Info bpbkar32(pid=6776) CONTINUE BACKUP received.         
failed to communicate with resource requester(811)
12/15/2012 8:35:19 AM - Critical bpbrm(pid=3508) unexpected termination of client CL-PD-VW-PRS-DC01    

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Nothing wrong with 'Staging_LIB01' config.

The only times I have seen and experienced status 811, was with hostname resolution at OS level.

In all of these cases there were a mix of short and FQDN in hosts files.

Herewith my own experience: 

https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/811-error-new-media-server

https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/netbackup-655-media-server-problems

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Level 6

Any reason why you started a new thread when you have an open thread with the exact same issue?

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/netbackup-75-failed-communicate-resource-requester811 

Which thread do we need to comment on?

You need to give us exact details of device and STU config on bothe the master and media server.

On Master, run these 3 commands and post output:

nbemmcmd -listhosts -verbose

bpstulist -L

bpschedule -L

On Master and media server, output of:

tpconfig -l.

(note small 'l' and big 'L' - there is a difference...)

XTREM1337
Level 4

Thanks for your time, here the requested files.

Marianne
Level 6

We need to see config with the second Storage Unit configured for the master.

At the moment you have a DSU for the media server and a Media manager SU for the master.

You already have a Storage Unit on the master for the 6 hcart2 drives in robot 0. 

Unless you have standalone tape drive(s) or another robot, you cannot add another Media Manager SU for the master. If you do, no problem.

If you have disk attached to master, you can create a DSU for the master.

What parameters were used for the second storage unit?

PS: Why do you have DSU on media server but tape library attached to Master?
Staging/Duplications will be VERY slow because all duplication data is going over the network.
6 tape drives attached to one server is also not a good idea - one server will hardly ever be able to stream 6 drives simultaneously...

XTREM1337
Level 4

I attached the SU config screenshots, master and media.

I recreated the SU on the Master server with the same config as he had last week.

Yes I have a DSU of 16T on my media server and a SL500 library attached on my master server, 6 tapes drives LTO5.

Why we have a media with a DSU and a master with a tape library?

The reason is, I'm working at the headoffice and the master server and the tape library are in our server room.

We have a Datacenter, 10 miles away, with a Cloud environnement. In this Datacenter, I installed a media server with a DSU of 16T (is a lun on the SAN). So during the night all the backup is going to the LUN of the media server. During the day, all the backup on this LUN (DSU) at the Datacenter are duplicated over the network (fiber link 10mb) to the master server 6 tapes library at the headoffice.

Yes is slow, it take all the day to duplicate.

One thing I forgot to said is, last week when I had the error 811 between my master and my media server, before I removed the new DSU on my master server, I was trying to do a backup of my Catalog and I received a socket error 25... Very weird... The master server had an issue to backup is own catalog...

When I removed the DSU on the master server and I rebooted both servers, everyhting's working good, the master and media was connected together and my Catalog backup was running without error...

Marianne
Level 6

Nothing wrong with 'Staging_LIB01' config.

The only times I have seen and experienced status 811, was with hostname resolution at OS level.

In all of these cases there were a mix of short and FQDN in hosts files.

Herewith my own experience: 

https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/811-error-new-media-server

https://www.veritas.com/connect/forums/netbackup-655-media-server-problems

XTREM1337
Level 4

Thank you very much Marianne for your time.

Regards