cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.5 silentclient.cmd error

matthias89
Level 2

Hello,

I am trying to install netbackup 7.5 client on all the servers in our corporation, which are more than 500.

Instead of doing the installation manually (which would take too much time), I decided to do it automaticly by running a script.

I found out that silentclient.cmd can be used to run the installation without any user interaction needed,  all you have to is edit the file with info you need (masterserver, optionalservers and client) and then double click on it, it executes and runs the setup.exe (in the same folder).

However if I launch this file from command line, it doesn't appear to execute the setup.exe

Since this is really blocking me, can you please tell me how to resolve this?

Kind regards,

Matthias

Note 1: I launch the installation from a remote server

Note 2: I am only trying to install on windows 2003 servers at the moment

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

you just need Netbackup clients if you want use granular restore from Exchange, SQL or SharePoint, for other services, you do not need. Even you can restore the entire VMDK disk files or just a unique file/folder from disk. I say this from experience, we have in our company over 100 VMs and no features of the NetBackup client, has restored several times, both as VMDK or disk files/folders using the same backup policy.

This is the best way for perform backup in VMware enviroment. Make a test in your company.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

Hi,

You dont need create a script, if you run the Client Setup from Master Server, like example, you can install in multiple clients in one time. Just follow the steps below:

1. Click in "Installation"
  2. Select "Client Software Installation"
  3. In next window, click "Next"
  4. Read the Terms and mark "Agree with the Symantec...."
  5. Click "Next"
  6. Mark "Install to multiple computers..."
  7. Mark "Custom"
  8. Click "Next"
  9. Netbackup Options, Click "Next"
  10. Netbackup Services, Click "Next"
  11. Config the additional Server if you want, then click "Next"
  12. Here you will Browse or Add the computers, in your domain, you want to install the NetBackup client. You can import computers from a list to.
  13. Click "Next"
  14. Read the Summary, then click in "Install".

For you I recommend to create a list and import a list in step 12.

Just one question, this servers are physical servers or VM? With not physical dont do that, you can perform secure backups otherwise.

matthias89
Level 2

Hi Thiago,

Thanks for your reply.

Most of the clients in our corporation are VM's and so the installation of netbackup I want to do are on these VM's. We've a complicated network structure, but the fact is that before the netbackup installation, there is also a need to add the netbackup servers to the hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts), a need to add the route (route add -p ... ) and if necessary even change the netmask of the network interface. All these things I implemented in my script and they are working, I even change the necessary values in silentclient.cmd using my script, all is working except the execution from command line.

Regards,

Matthias

huanglao2002
Level 6

Hi matthias89

If you select slient install model,it don't have any out at the command console.

If you want to know the install status ,please check %ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Symantec\NetBackup\InstallLogs file.

If you install more than 500 clients,it's a good method. Of you can use active directory or symantec altris to do this.

It's important to check "%ALLUSERSPROFILE%\Symantec\NetBackup\InstallLogs" log file, after the slient install complete. The log can tell you it's success or failed.

Jim

matthias89
Level 2

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your reply.  If I launch silentclient.cmd from command prompt I receive quite a lot of output though. Especially if I change "@echo OFF" to "@echo ON". So I see everything silentclient.cmd does and when it gets to launch the setup.exe, it directly continues. This is in contrary to when I launch the same file by double clicking it, then it waits at setup.exe, you see the program is actually busy for a few minutes.

The folder you're talking isn't even created when launching silentcliend.cmd from command prompt.

Regards,

Matthias

Will_Restore
Level 6

Did you try right-click Run As Administrator ?

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

You dont need clients in VMs, Netbackup 7.5 perform backups direct using vCenter and copy all vmdk files. so trie this, if you have the appropriate licenses, I believe that in version 7.5 is now the default Enterprise Server license.

matthias89
Level 2

@wr: First of all it are 2003 machines, so you can't even run as administrator, right? If I do double click on the silentclient.cmd file, I get the security warning window, where I have to click on Run, then it runs how it should be. But as I said before: command line-wise it doesn't. Scheduling the tasks apparently doesn't work out either. So at the moment I really don't know what to do...

@Thiago: to be honnest I am kinda new in netbackup, there people in my organisation who know more about netbackup. These people say that your solution is not good enough and that it is really necessary to install the clients on the VMs (it had something to do with granular restores if I can recall well)

Regards,

Matthias

Thiago_Pereira
Level 4

you just need Netbackup clients if you want use granular restore from Exchange, SQL or SharePoint, for other services, you do not need. Even you can restore the entire VMDK disk files or just a unique file/folder from disk. I say this from experience, we have in our company over 100 VMs and no features of the NetBackup client, has restored several times, both as VMDK or disk files/folders using the same backup policy.

This is the best way for perform backup in VMware enviroment. Make a test in your company.