cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.6 LTO Tape Library Setup

aviltauro
Level 4

I have setup Ntebackup 7.6 on Windows 2008 R2 which is connected to Dell LTO tape library Powervault ML6000.

I have tried adding this library in Netbackup as explained in the following article  but Netbackup unable to find the device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hzIfM-yLgA

How can I add this LTO to Netbackup? Rightnow under device manager I do not see the LTO devices listed. How should I proceed?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

The yellow exclamation mark under tape drives says that something is wrong at OS level.

Forget about NBU until such time as you have sorted out OS connectivity.

We cannot help with Brocade config - this is outside of backup administration.

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

the Video show how to configure the Drives in Netbackup..

but did you make sure the Drives are connected to netbbackup server before tying to configure it netbackup?

as you are not seeing the Device manager..

1) did you try to connect the Drives to the Media server?

2) are they Directly connected or zoned though SAN switch?

you need to make sure that drives are visiable in device manager before you start configuring in netbackup 

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

What does this command show from the cmd prompt opened as administrator?

cd \program files\veritas\volmgr\bin

scan

Also are the drives showing in the Windows Device Manager?

RonCaplinger
Level 6

"Rightnow under device manager I do not see the LTO devices listed."

If Windows cannot see the tape drive or tape library, your problem is with the Dell tape library, not NetBackup.  You need to be able to see the devices in Windows' Device Manager before NetBackup can detect them.

I sould suggest starting by looking at the documentation for your Dell hardware, or Google the tape library model number and Windows 2008 R2.  You will need to know how the devices are physically connected and may have to configure something on the tape library in order for Windows on your server to see the hardware.

Marianne
Level 6
If devices are physically connected, they may appear in Device Manager with a question mark because no drivers are loaded. You need to find out make and model of the tape drives in the robot and download drivers from the vendor website. For the actual robot, it should show up in Device Manager as Unknown Medium Changer. This is the Windows driver that is loaded and NBU is fine with that.

aviltauro
Level 4

It seems like the culprit is the Brocade Fiber Adapter which is getting diabled during the system boot as shown in the attachment. It's directly connected using fiber cable. Should I hard code the speed at both the ends to 4Gbps OR 8Gbps? How about topology, should it be Point to Point, Auto (NL) , Auto (LN)?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

A point to point connection should  be NL and the speed should be what the device support.

To avoid interruptions in data flow I would configure a fixed speed at the HBA level.

LTO support 8GB SAN connections, but the robot interface may reduce that to 4GB. try out what works.

If no link is detected, you may have to switch around the two fibers in one end. But it could also be server HBA try to do F logins without ever trying NL (loop)

aviltauro
Level 4

I have resolved HBA errors but Netbackup is showing the attached error. Pls advise.

aviltauro
Level 4

Also the device manager screen shot.

Verneti_Berny
Level 6

Some fiber adapters must have a software control to setup parameters between them and windows.

Did you have this?

aviltauro
Level 4

Brocade Host Connectivity Manager is installed and all the negotiation parameters are OK

Marianne
Level 6

The yellow exclamation mark under tape drives says that something is wrong at OS level.

Forget about NBU until such time as you have sorted out OS connectivity.

We cannot help with Brocade config - this is outside of backup administration.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Check connectivity again - offline devices could indicate lost comms.

aviltauro
Level 4

Resolved, I had to install a MS patch for 2008 R2 to fix this issue.