cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.6 Vmawre accelerator and plugin implementation

ed300900
Level 3

We recently upgdared to netbackup 7.6. However we have not enalbed vmware accelerator or VMware plugin. I am keen to get this in place as we are a 90% virtual business . Has anyone tried this and can you see improvement on backup speed and restores .. 

Also direction to installing procedures would be great 

Thnanks all 

3 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Bmitche
Level 5

I have not played with the plugin yet....but I started using vmware accelerator about 3 weeks ago.

Keep in-mind that accelerator for vmware will only give you FULL backups. I did not realize this and my diffs that I duplicate to tape were fulls.

I now have a seperate policy that does the accelerated vm backups just to my MSDP. The accelerated vm backups are very quick since they use CBT from vmware.

View solution in original post

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have played with the plugin under the 7.6 Betas, it is a little gnarly to set up, but gives you some more options in the VI Client interface, think you will like it when being 90% virtual business

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee
Hi, ed300900 Starting from 7.6, NetBackup supports accelerator backup for VMware, It's great feature to speed up your backup, you'll see great improvement in backup, no accelerator for restore. Here is a article regarding VMware accelerator, hope helps. http://blog.proact.dk/symantec-netbackup-7-6-english/ just simply enable "Use Accelerator" in policy when you use VMware accelerator backup. thanks walker

3 REPLIES 3

Bmitche
Level 5

I have not played with the plugin yet....but I started using vmware accelerator about 3 weeks ago.

Keep in-mind that accelerator for vmware will only give you FULL backups. I did not realize this and my diffs that I duplicate to tape were fulls.

I now have a seperate policy that does the accelerated vm backups just to my MSDP. The accelerated vm backups are very quick since they use CBT from vmware.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Have played with the plugin under the 7.6 Betas, it is a little gnarly to set up, but gives you some more options in the VI Client interface, think you will like it when being 90% virtual business

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Walker_Yang1
Level 5
Employee
Hi, ed300900 Starting from 7.6, NetBackup supports accelerator backup for VMware, It's great feature to speed up your backup, you'll see great improvement in backup, no accelerator for restore. Here is a article regarding VMware accelerator, hope helps. http://blog.proact.dk/symantec-netbackup-7-6-english/ just simply enable "Use Accelerator" in policy when you use VMware accelerator backup. thanks walker