Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.6 compatiblity

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

Hi Team

I need some help regarding with comnpatiblity of Netbackup 7.6. I am using esxi 5.5 and i install virtual machine of Server 2012 r2.

after the instalation of Netbackup master server it did not open the console and gave the following error. Kindly guide either it is due to compatible with esxi virtual machine or not.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

1. can i install both the master and media server on same or i do not need edia server as backup will be maintain in tape library

Vm sever does not support the tape library , so you need to have the Physical media server.

2. did i have to manage ports and which ports should be used f i go through manual instalation.

leave setting as default if you dont have mulitple networks

3 i provide the same name of master server to the server in which i am installing but still have the both issue. also it shows 2 names "nbumaster" and  "nbuserver (actual host server name)" through which i have to login

where it is showing the both names? and what is the name that you have given when you were installing the netbackup software?

are you able to ping the hostname that you have given?

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

RamNagalla

are you able to ping the server NBUserver ?

does it have valid IP address?

see if you can ping the NBUserver  , if not you need to make sure it has valid IP address associated and connected to network.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
This is not compatibility issue. Just straight forward hostname lookup. Test forward and reverse name lookup at OS level. Ensure connectivity on pbx port in both directions and that the master server has a Server entry for the Remote Admin Console hostname. Restart NBU on the master after adding Server entry. PS: You can find links to all compatibility lists in Handy NBU Links in my signature.

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

i am installing the master server on it. and launching the console on the master server

and what ports should be assign for this.?

Marianne
My apologies. Seems your master cannot resolve own hostname an IP. Have another look at Ram's post. Ensure UAC is disabled or else remember to always open the GUI with Run as Administrator. Test own hostname lookup with 'bpclntcmd -self' from cmd. Command is in ...netbackup\bin.

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

yes master server has this error and UAC ahas been disable and where i have to run this command..??

master server cmd or any where is netbackup

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

and as i want to standalone netbackup server so i dont need any network yet for launching the console

RamNagalla

does it kind of lab setup?

Netbackup servvies does not start, unless you have the active NIC card..

it will show you the same if you would have run the pre validation test.

you need to have the IP address assigned to it and interface should be up.

since you are using in Vmware, you can enable the teaming and get the interface working..

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

i have teh DHCP IP for the time being and this setup is for production site. 

media storage will be tape library.

one more thing when i enter license key it shows only master server not the media server. and i have no another license of media server given by symantec

RamNagalla

"and as i want to standalone netbackup server so i dont need any network yet for launching the console"

"media storage will be tape library.

one more thing when i enter license key it shows only master server not the media server. and i have no another license of media server given by symantec"

above statements are contradicting..

Did you veryify if you are able to ping server NBUserver ?

Marianne
Networking is a pre-req for NET-backup. Fixed IP address and hostname. Start again and firstly confirm all requirements in Installation Guide.

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

i am now reinstalling the master server and already gave server name and valid ip with.

for remote administration console i provide the same credentials as per local system 

and in this scenario still have the same issue.

kindly confirm me

1. can i install both the master and media server on same or i do not need edia server as backup will be maintain in tape library

2. did i have to manage ports and which ports should be used f i go through manual instalation.

3. i provide the same name of master server to the server in which i am installing but still have the both issue. also it shows 2 names "nbumaster" and  "nbuserver (actual host server name)" through which i have to login

RamNagalla

Vm sever does not support the tape library , so you need to have the Physical media server.

leave setting as default if you dont have mulitple networks

3 i provide the same name of master server to the server in which i am installing but still have the both issue. also it shows 2 names "nbumaster" and  "nbuserver (actual host server name)" through which i have to login

where it is showing the both names? and what is the name that you have given when you were installing the netbackup software?

are you able to ping the hostname that you have given?

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

Thanks for your guidance now i have to vanished all teh settings and move it to physical machine.

and now issue has been resolved

further now i am providing maunual credentials with local domain.

what if later i connect it with domain then i have to repair it again or any other way is to login through domain user.

RamNagalla

you no need to provide any credentials if you leave it as default..it will run as local admin..

and does not matter what user ID you used to connect/login to the server.. but it will always run as local admin.

Kashan_Nawaz
Level 4
Partner

thanks for your support