cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7.3 Device Configuration Wizard does not find Tape Drive or Robot

AdamChangepoint
Level 3

I just installed Netbackup 7.7.3 on a Windows 2012 Standard x64 machine.

I have a Dell ML-6000 hooked up via a fibre HBA to the system

Windows is able to see both the Tape drive and the medium changer and has no driver issues according to device manager. 

When I run the Device Configuration Wizard it says that it can't find either the Tape drives or robot 

I'm not sure what next steps should be to troubleshoot this issue, any help would be appriciated

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Looking at the Scan pictures it seems you have an issue with the device mappings.

Think the solution is to download the latest device mappings file and load it according to the readme file.

Another approach could be doing a repair on Netbackup

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Do these commands return anything:

scan -changer
scan -tape

Have seen something similar, because the 1556 port was not open inbound in the local firewall.

Have you checked the HCL for robot & drives ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Can you show us screenshot of Windows Device Manager?

Plus output of 'scan' commands as requested by @sdo 
(Command is in <install-path>\veritas\volmgr\bin )

'scan' command will show devices if they respond to scsi_commands at OS-level.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

I've seen a few times when Device Manager says it can see something, but in fact it cannot.

Personally, I'd delete the devices from Windows completly, then reboot.  If the devices 'come back' in device manager, that's good enough to confirm they really are visible.

It doesn't mean they are repsponding correctly, so visible in device manager, doesn't suddenly mean the blame is on NBU - as SDO correctly asks, what does the scan command show ???

scan only sends scsi commands to the devices seen by the OS, Device Manager does something similar - so if Device Manager isn't working, I would first expect to see scan fail as well (this is what is usually found).

If scan works, then as Michael suggested, we could be looking at a comms type of issue somewhere.

Attached are the screen shots requested. 

Someone else had mentioned the windows firewall being the culprit, that is disbaled on this server. 

Marianne
Level 6

Seems Michael has identified the problem : Device Mappings.... 

Have you checked and confirmed Hardware Compatibility? NetBackup and hardware vendor....

Looking at the Scan pictures it seems you have an issue with the device mappings.

Think the solution is to download the latest device mappings file and load it according to the readme file.

Another approach could be doing a repair on Netbackup

Attached are the screen shots of the Service and Device Cofnig. 

Marianne
Level 6
Apologies for changing my previous post. I initially missed the 'device mappings' error message.

Please download and install latest device mappings. Link in the HCL.

Yep, I updated the device mappings file and that solved the issue. 

thanks for the help!