cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7.3 save backups to storage

Nick2018
Level 3

Hi everyone,

I need to save backups in a Dell Emc ISILON storage, is this possible? Wich is the best recomandation for this?

I try with "Configure disk storage server" but the only option for storage is "Netapp".

Actually we use this storage only for take backup´s (NDMP)

10 REPLIES 10

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

when you review HCL for NetBackup 7.7 (https://www.veritas.com/bin/support/docRepoServlet?bookId=NB_77_HCL&requestType=pdf) and also for 8.x, there is no mention that Isilon can be used as a target device with some added value (like deduplication etc.). So on a target side, you can probably use it as a mere UNC-presented basic disk target only.

You metioned that as for a source side, you use NDMP backup for it. Remember that since NBU 8.1, you can configure these backups with Accelerator (https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/103228346-127350715-0/v125051485-127350715).

Regards

Michal

Krutons
   VIP   

Did you add it as an NDMP host under credentials before trying to setup a storage server?

Marianne

@Nick2018 

I am also confused about your requirement.

If you want to use the Isilon as backup target, then NDMP does not play any role.
If you want to backup data residing on the Isilon to tape (we know that you have LTO8 tape), then you need NDMP.

For backup target, the storage can be added as Basic Disk or Advanced Disk using UNC paths.
Basic Disk capability is included in base traditional NBU server license. 
Advanced disk needs DPOO license. Included if you have Capacity license.

To config Isilon as backup target, please see this TN on how to config credentials: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/18716246-126559472-0/v41399748-126559472

Hi Marianne,

At present i use the isilon for take backup to tape (NDMP).

Now i need to save backups in ISILON (Virtual machines), the best solutions for this is use CIFS?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

it is not the best solution, it is the only solution.

Also it is not appropriate usage of Isilon, the same purpose can be served by a much cheaper storage.

Regards

Michal

Ok, thanks for the explanation.

I have other problem with the configuration of this storage to use for "basic disk".

I´ve attached the network drive for save backups in windows but when i try to configure a new storage uniti can´t select this network drive (the credentials are the same of the netbackup service).

In the configuration of storage unit i select the local NBU master server were i have the network share mapping.

Why i can´t select directly NDMP storage unit as in this image? I only have "Media Manager" or "Basic Disk"

ndmp.JPG

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

I guess because you don't have any tape drives. NDMP type Storage Units are tape only and hosted by a NAS filer, not a NetBackup Media Server. They are used for NDMP Local Backups (aka "Direct Attach") or NDMP 3-Way Backups. Media Manager (i.e. tape) and Disk type Storage Units are hosted by a NetBackup Media Server and can be used for NDMP Remote Backups. This can be quite confusing...

Also in the case of Disk Storage Units, I guess the reason you only have "Basic Disk" available is not having a DPOO or Capacity license as Marianne said earlier. 

Andrew 

Marianne

We know that @Nick2018 has LTO8 drives attached to his Windows master server:  (https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Netbackup-7-7-3-with-LTO8/m-p/863743)

We have tried to explain the difference between backing up of data FROM the Isilon (via NDMP protocol to 'normal' STU on media server or NDMP STU when you have tape attached to the filer) and backup TO the Isilon (where UNC path is configured as Basic Disk).

You cannot use a mapped drive letter as the path in STU config. It MUST be UNC path : e.g. \\hostname-or-IP\backup-directory

Please also double-check that ALL of these services are started with logon account that has write permissions on the UNC path:
-  NetBackup Remote Manager and Monitor Service
-  NetBackup Client Service 
-  NetBackup Service Layer 

andrew_mcc1
Level 6
   VIP   

Yes I was having difficulty following use of Isilon in this thread but I have come across general confusion about creating NDMP Storage Units and the fact that NDMP backups do not necessarily require them - in fact for backup to disk and Accelerator, NDMP backups cannot use NDMP Storage Units.

Thanks, Andrew

Also I meant to add not having a NDMP or Capacity license key may also prevent creation of NDMP Storage Units.