Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7.3 see library but can't configure the drives

yannlindemann
Level 4

Windows 2008 R2 Netbackup 7.7.3 Master Server

Library Eternus Fujitsu LT60S2 4xUltrium-HH7(IBM) LT0 7 tapes drives

I see the library in Windows, the drives. When I try to add the library in Nebackup, that's failed..

Netbackup see the library and the drives but I can't select the drives...I should configure the drive before... HOW and WHERE? ..

thanks

39 REPLIES 39

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

As long as the drivers for the tape drives are not loaded in Windows Device Manager, NOTHING is going to work....

Have you tried to open cmd with 'run as Administrator' (even if you are a local admin) and run the installation  .exe, with -d to run in debug mode and create a log file? What do you see in the log file? 
And Event Viewer System and Application logs?

At this point you need assistance from Microsoft and/or Fujitsu and/or IBM.

Hi Marianne,

did all the windows update, I'm using the latest IBM drivers, Netbackup 7.7.3

Althought I used a drivers cleaners and I removed all the old SL500 tape drvers, library etc.

I run the installation with the debug option, see in attachment.

When I run de device management I'm using devmgmt.msc because I'm working in remote RDP on the server.

I'm always using the runas option everywhere.

Question, have you checked with IBM that this driver supports LTO7 on Windows 2008 ?

As Windows 2008 is now an older OS, not all drivers is made for it anymore.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

I opened a ticket with Fujitsu Eternus support.

They seem to said that the question mark near the tapes drives are ''normal'' and it should be ok for Netbackup to add them in the software..

We'll see, they never said that the drivers wasnt complient.

Marianne
"They seem to said that the question mark near the tapes drives are ''normal'' and it should be ok for Netbackup to add them in the software.."

This reaction is extremely disappointing and makes me doubt their knowledge.

Tell them NO! It is NOT normal. NetBackup does not have built-in tape drivers and can therefore not see or add these 'unknown devices'.

THe moment the drivers are loaded at OS level, NBU will be able to see, add and use them.

Agree with Marianne Fujitsu support should know better, to my knowledge no device has ever worked as long as it showed as other. Basically other means that the driver for device(s) is NOT loaded properly.

But I would talk with IBM as it is their tape drives and driver. If you support is through Fujitsu get them to contact IBM.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

While waiting for Fujistsu and IBM - you may want to ask on an IBM forum? 

Looking at the installation debug log, it seems as if the driver found no suitable devices.

There was something in the driver README about Emulex hba and device connection type. Have you seen this and confirmed that all is fine?

You may need to look on Emulex site as well to see if any settings are needed for tape drives. 

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

fully agree your problem is on OS driver related. As long as the drivers are not installed you cant go on with NetBackup.

I saw that you dont have SAN Zoning. Marianne provided some links to IBM. Here http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=ssg1S7002972&aid=1  on page 25 youll find a strong recommendation for separating disks and tapes in SAN. Without zoning every initiator can access each target. Maybe the drives are reseverd by anothe host.

I recommend to change your SAN setup. As a test if possible you may connect one drive directly with one of the HBA ports on your master/media and start a recover in device manager.

ciao

Martin 

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

I dont chhanged my opinion about zoning. But bad news:

regarding to veritas HCL https://download.veritas.com/resources/content/live/SFDC/25000/000025228/en_US/nbu_77_hcl.html?__gda...

Windows 2008 is not supportet with LTO-7. The sam result I get in IBM SSIC https://www-03.ibm.com/systems/support/storage/ssic/interoperability.wss

If I choose Windows 2008R2 no LTO-7 are available. or vice versa choose LTO-7 and in in OS List is Windows 20012 the only one from Redmont.

Sorry dont shoot the messenger

Martin

nbutech
Level 6
Accredited Certified

Are you installing the non-exclusive drivers or exclusive ?

Marianne

Seems 'exclusive' or 'non-exclusive' is immaterial at this stage.

IBM LTO 7 is not supported on W2008. 
Not by IBM and therefore not by NBU either. 

Only supported with W2012....

tunix2k
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi nbutech,

due to debug message non-exclusive.

Hi yannLindemann

To check for LTO-7 have a look at inf file fortape drives: D:\IBM Drivers\IBMTape.x64_w08_6252\exctapef.inf

this should confirm LTO-7 is not supportet in Windows 2008R2

ciao

Martin 

Hi Marianne, yes... I contacted the Fujitsu Eternus support yesterday and here what they said..

****************************************************************************************************************************We found a compatibility chart for Veritas NetBackup 7.7.x on the Veritas site that shows the IBM Ultrium-HH7 tape drives are not supported by Windows 2008 x64 and the NetBackup 7.7.x.  I have attached the compatibility document for NetBackup 7.7, see page 191 for the table showing the IBM Ultrium-HH7 drive compatibility with Windows 2008.

The link to the document is: https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000025228

We also found a hotfix is available for LTO-7 support in Windows Server 2012, but not for Windows 2008R2.

Please confirm this with Veritas and update the OS / NetBackup as needed

*******************************************************************************************************************************

my question is, can I upgrade my Windows 2008R2 to Windows 2012? ... does the Netbackup 7.7.3 is compatible with the LTO7 ?

Marianne

As per this post over here by @tunix2k : https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/Netbackup-7-7-3-see-library-but-can-t-configure-the-drives/m-p/... the actual issue is with IBM not supporting LTO7 with W2008.

I have no idea if W2008 can be upgraded to W2012. This is a question for a Microsoft forum.

Be sure that you have a catalog backup before you make any changes at OS-level!

Yes - as per the HCL that Fujitsu sent you, IBM LTO7 is supported with NBU 7.7.x on W2012.

Thanks Marianne, I used to backup my catalog direct to tape as usual but can I backup the catalog on a disk or LUN?

Marianne
Yes. You can create a BasicDisk Storage unit using local or network drive (UNC path) and select as destination for catalog backup.

You can't upgrade from Windows 2008 to Windows 2012 R2, it is a reinstall.

Thanks Marianne for all your help on this issue, I really appreciatedi it.

We'll buy the windows 2012 licences etc. I backup my Catalog on my BasicDisk and we'll upgrade everything.

Let you know

thanks again

FYI we "upgraded" windows 2008R2 to Windows 2012 without any issue, the library is up and running.

As Marianne said, it was a drivers issue and the tape drive was incompatible with Windows 2008.

@yannlindemann 

Hi

I have LTO-7 Tape drives and working fine on Window 2008R2 without any issue.