cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7.3 to 8.1 upgrade

Intore
Level 4

Hi, I have to perform the Netbackup upgrade for a customer that has the following configuration. This is my first time I upgrade an environment so I could ask trivial questions.

SERVER_1

• Main server as master and media server
  • RHEL 7.2
  • NB 7.7.3

SERVER_2 (REPLY)

• Reply with master and media server
  • Windows server 2008 R2
  • NB 7.7.3

SERVER_3

• Media server (NB version 7.7.2)
  • OPS (NB already upgraded to 8.1)
  • Windows server 2008 R2

The console resides on another server at version 7.7.3

As the OPS is already upgraded I can proceed with the master but I have a doubt on how to manage the reply and also regarding the fact that the master servers include the media servers (SERVER_1 and SERVER_2).

The correct order could be the following one?

1st. SERVER_1  

2nd. SERVER_2

3rd. SERVER_3

4th. Server with the console

Thank you

Intore

6 REPLIES 6

X2
   VIP   

In general, the list goes like:

1. Upgrade OpsCenter first
  2. Upgrade Master server and check functionality (rollback if issues persist)
  3. Upgrade Media server and check funtionality (rollback if issues persist) - media server with lower version works with upgraded Master server. Recommended to have master/media at same version though.

See upgrade guide: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/125240132-131571482-0/v125240153-131571482

Thank you X2 for helping. I know that order. OPS is already upgraded. I need to know if there is anything to keep in consideration about the master replication because in the "Netbackup 8.0 Upgrade Guide" this aspect is not addressed.

Thank you. Intore

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@Intore 

This is the first time that you mentioned 'replication'. 
Maybe this is what you meant with SERVER_2 (REPLY)

Are you referring to AIR (Automatic Image Replication)? 

About upgrades and AIR between different NBU versions -  
Please see this extract from NBU Dedupe Guide:  https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/doc/25074086-127355784-0/AIR-127355784

The ability to perform Auto Image Replication between different versions of NetBackup does not overrule the basic image compatibility rules. For example, a database backup that was taken in one NetBackup domain can be replicated to a NetBackup domain of an earlier version. However, the older server may not be able to successfully restore from the newer image.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

@Intore   you might want to run through Veritas SORT for NetBackup.

And if you use MSDP then I suggest that you open a support case and ask Veritas about pre-patching your MSDP disk pools (i.e. media servers) to aid the upgrade / conversion process.  But be careful if your MSDP disk pools are over 50% utilised.

@Marianne 

Hi Marianne and thank you for replying. Yes, SERVER_2 is the replication of the SERVER_1. My doubt concerned any additional procedures to be followed in case of replication because I'll have to upgrade every environment component to 8.1 version.

Thank you

Intore

@sdo 

Hi sdo. I already performed the SORT on the main server and there every check is green:

Disk space for NetBackup deduplication upgrade --> Your Media Server Deduplication Pool does not require conversion.

Anyway I saw that the PureDisk occupied space exceeds 90%.

I'll try to open a support case in order to check with them if the current configuration/status could be fine.

Thank you

Intore