cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7 Hyper-V snapshot certain Drive on VM

curcloin
Level 4

I was wondering if it's possible to only snapshot one drive on the Hyper-V Vm when performing a backup through snapshot.  I have a partition on the VM that stores realtime data which doesn't need to be backed up.  Is there a work around to performing a backup on the OS partition only for a VM?

Thanks,

M

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

the only option that i am seeing is defining the disk that does not need to backup as Hyper-V pass-through disk.

see if you can define that partiction as Hyper-V pass-through disk,,  The NetBackup for Hyper-V feature and Hyper-V snapshot method (as described in other chapters of this guide) do not back up pass-through disks.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

the only option that i am seeing is defining the disk that does not need to backup as Hyper-V pass-through disk.

see if you can define that partiction as Hyper-V pass-through disk,,  The NetBackup for Hyper-V feature and Hyper-V snapshot method (as described in other chapters of this guide) do not back up pass-through disks.

curcloin
Level 4

Thanks,

Unfortunetly It would be hard to make those changes now to the VM. What If I just take a file backup of the OS vhdx (C: for windows) of the Virtual Machines, so at least that way I can make new VM and use the vhdx backed up as the OS disk.  I'll just run a hyper-v backup straight to tape as I'm limited with the Disk storage on the Netbackup server.  Obviously restore isn't has simple if it was a snapshot but it's an alternative that might work.

Thanks,

M