cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7 SLP and Vault

curcloin
Level 4

I'm starting a small Netbackup environment and have a requirement to store data offsite for 90 days.  I'm having a hard time understanding the Vault process to move tapes offsite.  I have configured an SLP to do a full backup once a week with a 3 month duplication retention, in which it copies to disk and duplicates to tape immediatily.  How does the vault process work with the SLP?  I have only seen Vault work with Basic disk in which it duplicates tape for offsite.  Will the vault still have to duplicate again to another tape and then send that tape offsite?  I don't have the duplication tab checked as it's duplicating in the SLP and I don't need to save original.

Vault_Netbackup.PNG

SLP_Netbackkup.PNG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Vault does catalog backups, duplications and ejects (and reports).

SLP does duplications.

You can choose to perform ejects by Vault if you want, but you wouldn't be using both SLP and Vault to do duplications.

View solution in original post

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Hello Curcloin,

you do not have to duplicate again through Vault again... 

in vault choose backups tab.. leave everying as default..( hopefully you do not have mulitple valting requirements) and

make sure backup started area in choose backup tab is covered atleast 2 of your vault cycles.. if you are running vault once in a week.. keep between 14 days to 0 days

if you are plannign to run value every day.. keep atleast 7 days to 0 days. for safe side.

then move to Eject tab. and add the value pool that you have selected in SLP duplication opertions (mn_tapes.......) (considring this volume pool is only selected for 90 days duplications, if that is not the case retenctions or policies needs to select from choose backups tab)

then move to reports tab and select what ever the reprots that you are looking.

done

you can tirgger the vault job manaully and see if that is working as expected.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

RiaanBadenhorst
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi,

Vault does catalog backups, duplications and ejects (and reports).

SLP does duplications.

You can choose to perform ejects by Vault if you want, but you wouldn't be using both SLP and Vault to do duplications.

RamNagalla

Hello Curcloin,

you do not have to duplicate again through Vault again... 

in vault choose backups tab.. leave everying as default..( hopefully you do not have mulitple valting requirements) and

make sure backup started area in choose backup tab is covered atleast 2 of your vault cycles.. if you are running vault once in a week.. keep between 14 days to 0 days

if you are plannign to run value every day.. keep atleast 7 days to 0 days. for safe side.

then move to Eject tab. and add the value pool that you have selected in SLP duplication opertions (mn_tapes.......) (considring this volume pool is only selected for 90 days duplications, if that is not the case retenctions or policies needs to select from choose backups tab)

then move to reports tab and select what ever the reprots that you are looking.

done

you can tirgger the vault job manaully and see if that is working as expected.

curcloin
Level 4

Thanks,

So if I run Vault once a week it's going to look for any tape in volume pool mn_tapes that has a backup of 3 months and eject it for offsite storage. If I wanted a two week tape retention would I create a scratch tape pool and send the duplications to those tapes, which will not be part of the vault.  I don't have a large environment so It should only be 1 or 2 tapes per week that are being sent offsite.

What is the purpose of scratch tapes?

Thanks again.

sdo

Scratch tapes are empty, unassigned - and can be claimed (by backup/duplication jobs) for use - and thus would be assigned to any other pool (as specified in the backup policy or SLP policy).

RamNagalla

So if I run Vault once a week it's going to look for any tape in volume pool mn_tapes that has a backup of 3 months and eject it for offsite storage. yes if the backup date fals under choose backups windows "between" 14 days to 0 days or what ever the days you select.

yes.. create an another Volume pool can not be scratch may be something link weekly_pool and use it for weekly retenction backups.

and about scratch pool please go though below

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.HOWTO49122

Description

A scratch pool is an optional volume pool that you can use to ensure that volumes are allocated to the volume pools that need them. Media Manager moves volumes from a scratch pool to other pools that do not have volumes available, including Vault pools. Expired volumes are returned to the scratch pool automatically.

You can set up a scratch pool in two ways, as follows:

• Create a scratch pool and add all your volumes to it. Then create all the other volume pools but do not allocate any volumes to them. Media Manager then moves volumes from the scratch pool to the other volume pools as needed and returns the expired volumes to the scratch pool.

• Create your volume pools and allocate volumes to them. Then create a scratch pool and allocate volumes to it. Media Manager moves volumes between the scratch pool and the other volume pools as needed and returns the expired volumes to the scratch pool. This method may be the best option if you decide to add a scratch pool to an existing NetBackup configuration.

The scratch pool feature can affect reports for media coming on site. If you use a scratch pool, the Picking List for Vault, the off-site Inventory, and the All Media Inventory reports may include volumes from other profiles or vaults that have expired and moved back into the scratch pool even though the reports may be for a specific Vault profile or session.

For information about configuring scratch pools, see the NetBackup Administrator's Guide.