cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7.7 vmware restore error since upgrading (2820)

Richard_Davies
Level 3

Recently upgraded from netbackup 7.5.05 to 7.7

Upgrade went without any problems

Testing restore of vmware nbd, server can see vcentre server, correct credentials are submitted

San presented disks have been rediscovered, to test disks are present

Job is allowed to be created, starts and finds tape.

In vmware, vm is started to be built, then errors Error Bptm cannot write to data socket error10053

and then exits error 24

Any clues or assistance gratefully recieved

6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have not been able to find any issue that was introduced in NBU 7.7.

All I could find was a similar issue with NBU 7.5.x: 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/problems-restoring-vm 

Unfortunately the issue was never resolved.

All I can suggest is to enable all relevant logging on the media server and backup host.

Richard_Davies
Level 3

Hi Marianne, thanks for replying.

This one really got me stumped as the connections are all in place, and the machine begins to be created, but then as soon as it does it the deletes the vm. fails and then errors

I've got a support case in, and logs now with symantec.

im kicking myself as i should have tested a restore after bringing the catalog back in 7.5.05 before running the upgrade.

to do that now would mean flattening the server and starting again....

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
I found some other posts as well across different versions with similar errors. All pointing to access to datastore.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

You mention SAN disks, what it is the policy for "new" disks on the backup host(s) ? A readonly policy could give something like this for a restore which attempts to use the SAN connection.

If you are using NBD restore, check that port 902 is open between the backup host and the ESX host you restore to.

Have some times seen that you need to reapply the credentials in netbackup after an upgrade/patch.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Richard_Davies
Level 3

Hi Michael

Credentials have been reapplied

The method was a restore of a VM from a tape to san presented Datastores

When restoring the vm the procedure allows you to choose SAN/NBD/Hotadd/nbdssl

we are using NBD.

the Data stores have been tested as seen, by backup as i've unpresented and represented them since the upgrade from 7.5.05 to 7.7

Tried testing to see if any backups/restores work,

Tried a restore windows files to a file server this works

tried a backup of Windows files this works

tried a backup of an exisiting VM this fails with a bpbrm error on the VxUL id=30

Error 6

Going to try creating a new VM and back this up next, will alos check that port too.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Then it sounds like your problem is writing through the NFC port 902 from the backup host to the esx host datastore for the restore issue.

Is there any events reported in vsphere event log when the restore attempt fails ?

Can you telnet from the backup to the esx host on port 902 ? telnet esx host 902

As the backup fails too, it makes me think of a general permission issue somewhere.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue