cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 - Exchange 2007 CCR Passive node backup

Itegral
Level 6

The following setup is a replica of our another environment but unfortunately the below one is failing with exit code 72.

The setup is Exchange 2007 CCR backup using NetBackup ver. 7.0.1 (everything is on Windows 2008 x64 SP2). Both the nodes are acting as SAN media servers with SSO enabled and library attached.

The client services on each node are running under NetBackup account (acc is local admin on each node, member of Domain Admin and Exchange Admin groups).

I have defined the virtual name of the cluster on the selection list and backing up the entire "Information Store". (http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH73112)

The backup kicks in and looks for ACTIVE Node then tries to redirect and fails;

06/02/2010 08:43:20 - Error bpbrm (pid=9569) bpcd on XMB02 exited with status = 59
06/02/2010 08:43:20 - Error bpbrm (pid=9569) client XMB02 is the redirected target host and not at version 6.5.2

The strange thing is, nothing in this environment is at 6.5.2, so I'm not sure why its looking for something 6.5.2

6 REPLIES 6

Oddy
Level 5
Employee

It sounds like it might connecting to the wrong host if the wrong netbackup version is coming up, might be a name resolution problem. Check dns and local hosts file on the media server for possible issues.

You can try to connect to client XMB02 in the Netbackup Admin console on the master under Host Properties, Clients and check which netbackup version this is showing.

If this is OK try to create the following log directories on the exchange server

<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpcd
<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpfis
<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpbkar

Check the bpcd log for connections from the media server, the status 59 indicates that the media server is not added to the server list on the client, you will most likely see a status 46 in the log. If you do, add the media server to the server list and try again.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy

Itegral
Level 6

The media servers are already added to the Master list.

When I am trying to check the properties of the virtual name of the CCR cluster under Hosts -> Clients, it comes back with (46) server not allowed access.

I have tried connecting to the virtual name of the cluster through cmd "bptestbpcd -client" but still the same response.

Please advise.

Oddy
Level 5
Employee

create log directory

<install dir>\netbackup\logs\bpcd

on the exchange server, try to connect to the client and open the log and find out which servername that is trying to connect to the client when you get status 46. Copy and paste that server name to the server list on the client, that should take care of the status 46 and 59.

I hope this helps.

/Oddy

Itegral
Level 6

OK - dont forgt that Exchange nodes are SAN media servers!!

Itegral
Level 6

The requirement is to backup the data over the management LAN (not the production). The Master has 2 seperate NICs with IP addresses one for Mgmt and another for Prod. I have 2 DNS entries, one for each IP address.

I ran "bptestbpcd -client" again and didnt find any issues in bpcd log. The command looked for media server Prod name and then compared it with FQDN and stated "comparision successful". Same happened with cluster nodes i.e. compared the short name with FQDN and stated "comparision successful".

Eventually had to uninstall the SAN media servers from both the nodes and uninstall the Master Server (back to square one).

As mentioned above, this is a replica of my another environment and that environment with the similar settings works absolutely fine.

I read somewhere that "the DNS entries must match the "case" i.e. if Master server name is lower case in DNS then other entries must be in lower case. Does it make sense??

Itegral
Level 6

since I have uninstalled, and now trying to reinstall the Netbackup - its not accepting the license keys, says "invalid".

Please advise.