cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 FS space issue

Jeganath_K
Not applicable

Hi,

We recently upgraded to netbackup 7. In master server (solaris) /usr/openv mount point is increasing in size and i want to delete the old log files.. Back in NB 6.5, i used to delete old log files in /usr/openv/logs.. Now i'm a little confused with NB 7 as there are some directories under that path.. So which log files should i delete to reduce the file system usage.. Appreciate your help...

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Still the same logs - just different directories for each process / OID. Extract from 7.0 Release Notes:

■ VxUL Log Directory Restructuring
This change enhances the usability of VxUL logs by putting the logs for each service in a unique directory, making it easier for support to find and copy the correct logs.

Use vxlogmgr and vxlogcfg to delete and manage unified logs. Extracts from Commands manual:

EXAMPLE
The following deletes log files that NetBackup created 15 days back:
# vxlogmgr -d --prodid NB -n 15

EXAMPLE
The following sets the DebugLevel and DiagnosticLevel for all unified logging originators in NetBackup:
# vxlogcfg -a --prodid 51216 -orgid ALL -s DebugLevel=3 -s DiagnosticLevel=3 

(It's fine to set Debug and Diag levels to 0.)

Also have a look at this old, but still valid quik ref guide: ftp://exftpp.symantec.com/pub/support/products/NetBackup_Enterprise_Server/287647.pdf

Sriram
Level 6

Hi Jeganath,

Do this:

1. cd to /usr/openv/logs and execute "du -sk * |sort -n".  This will list you the most comsumed directory at the last line of the output.

2. Then go to that directory and check for old log files which you can delete.

3. Otherwise repeate from step 1.

- Sri

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

It was the unified logging.

Check this file

<installdir>/openv/netbackup/nblog.conf 

there are two items to look at

Default.DiagnosticLevel=1

Default.DebugLevel=1 

After I upgraded to 7.0 these were at 6 - lots of detail and was eating up my disk space.

These are the logs in <installdir>/openv/logs

I ended up with 175 gig of logs here!

DO NOT MODIFY THE NBLOG.CONF FILE

use the vxlogcfg command to change it such as

windows

\install_path\VERITAS\NetBackup\bin\vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o Default -s DiagnosticLevel=1

for unix

<installpath/openv/netbackup/bin/vxlogcfg -a -p 51216 -o Default -s DiagnosticLevel=1

do it again for the DebugLevel

(I think that is the command I used)  then check the nblog.conf file again to see that the levels are down.  Choose a level you are comfortable with.

jim_dalton
Level 6

To complete the picture use vxlogcfg to set NumberOfLogFiles, RolloverMode,MaxLogFileSize and so forth so you have it all under control, then relax.

Jim

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

All documented in Quick Ref Guide posted on 26 Dec...