cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netbackup 7 Media Server Deduplication Pool Export to Tape (PureDisk-Export)

PF1
Level 2

Hello,
  I'm searching for documentation or someone willing to share their knowledge on how to export backup images stored on PureDisk pools front-ended by a deduplication media server in NBU 7.0.  Since in NBU 7 the integration is supposed to be complete, I'm running into the following problem:  All of the documentation (even that in the NBU 7.0 Admin Guide) refers to setting up an "Export-to-NetBackup" policy in PureDisk, however with NBU 7, there is no admin interface for creating policies directly in PureDisk, so the policy would have to somehow be created in the NBU 7.0 Admin Console.  There is an option to create a PureDisk-Export policy in NBU 7.0 now, however there is no place that I can see where one would specify the name of the DataStore policy that would be used to move the data from NBU to tape, so what I end up with is a "puredisk-export" policy that doesn't export any images (since there's no 'publicly-locatable' documentation anywhere to tell one how to do that) and a "datastore" policy that has nothing to move since the previous policy produces no images.  The documentation I did reference is the NetBackup Administrator's Guide for Unix Volume II pgs 48-50, but as I said, it says the following:

How to create a PureDisk export policy
For information about creating an export policy, see the NetBackup PureDisk
Remote Office Edition Administrator’s Guide

Unfortunately, that guide references the web interface of Puredisk, which doesn't exist in NBU 7.0 with the PDDO installed.

Any help or insight would be MUCH appreciated!  :)

My Environment
Linux Master Server 7.0
4 Solaris Media Servers 7.0
1 Linux Media Server as a Deduplication Media Server 7.0 with PDDO

Thanks all.

Pat
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
Simply create Storage Lifecycle Policy with MSDP as backup destination and tape as duplication destination.
You don't need export procedures for NB integrated deduplication.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

marekkedzierski
Level 6
Partner
Simply create Storage Lifecycle Policy with MSDP as backup destination and tape as duplication destination.
You don't need export procedures for NB integrated deduplication.

PF1
Level 2
That's awesome Marek.  Exactly what I was looking to accomplish, but evidently entirely too simple for me to figure out on my own! ;)  A co-worker had suggested that early on but for whatever reason I had it stuck in my mind that I had to export to NBU then dupe to tape.  I guess this is a stark implication that the two products actually are more closely integrated than at any time in the past.  For those of you who are looking for a simpler solution to the existing PD node -> Export via PDCR to NBU -> Datastore to tape, NBU 7.0 definitely makes it MUCH easier and cleaner.

Thanks all.

Pat